Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
Well, to start with, it's "tectonic", "Teutonic" refers to a historical ethnic group in what is now Germany.
Sorry sometimes spell-check is not your friend but your worst enemy. I think you also meant to say "...what is now Denmark..." not Germany, since Teutons, a Germanic tribe came from Jutland which is presently Denmark... but that's totally off the subject, right?

To get the motion right you have to think about everything being on a sphere. You can't just take a flat map and push things around in a flat, Euclidean way and have it work out. A "straight line" on a sphere is actually a circle around the centre of the planet (a great circle), and moving in a straight line is rotation around the centre (in particular it's rotation around a line through the centre and perpendicular to the line between you and the centre).

This is really hard to figure out on a flat map, and the particular kind of flat map is going to make a difference too. A conformal map or a gnomonic map would both have some advantages. Conformal maps preserve angles locally (45° is always 45°) while Gnomonic maps always map great circles to straight lines.
I see what you mean and that's a great idea I'll definitely try gnomonic projection before transferring it to a flat map. I'm just trying to make it as plausible as possible.

If your map is meant to be in a global cylindrical projection, then those faults running into the southeast and southwest corners are actually meeting exactly at the south pole as the entire bottom edge is a single point. They are also meeting at an infinitesimal angle. Essentially, an infinitely sharp point. You would also need to match up faults across the discontinuity at the edges which at the moment you haven't.
Thanks for pointing it out I totally screwed the south pole up.