Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first map try

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    One thing: The outlines of the lakes do not fit so well with the rivers.
    You could try to erase them.
    Or you can paint the outlines of the lakes in the dark blue of the rivers and fill the lakes with a bit lighter blue.

*sorry, I somehow have to earn that river police badge*
    Lol policing is what I want and need. One of the problems I run into when I do rivers via eraser with outline is that the outline on the rivers is too rough. Do you have any tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by ukie View Post
    One of the problems I run into when I do rivers via eraser with outline is that the outline on the rivers is too rough. Do you have any tricks?
    I don't understand that. Did you erase the rivers from the land?
    I guessed you painted them in a separate layer over the land.
    I think your rivers look very good.

I don't understand that. Did you erase the rivers from the land?
    I guessed you painted them in a separate layer over the land.
    I think your rivers look very good.
    Sorry. What I meant is that The lakes are just "holes" in the land layers and I "erase" the rivers out of them. After that when I do the 1-2 px outline of the contour the lakes look good but the rivers outline is too "sharp".

First of all thanks guys I really appreciate your input it's uber helpful.

In terms of fonts you are absolutely right I was just playing around to see if it would make the map more interesting but I really like the idea of italics, bold and caps within the same font style. Can't believe I didn't think of it on my own > but it's a learning process as all of you know I will also address the placement problem in the next try.

The reason I tried to make it darker is because I though it would give it more "authentic"/old feel. The overlay layer didn't come out on the land because of the burn color being too similar to the base color of the land. Dutifully noted I need to play around with parchment textures or land color.

I'm glad jbgibson mentioned rivers. That's something I had troubles with. I loved the idea of putting the lakes on separate layer and outlining them with river color. What do you think of making them simply black coming out of black or dark blue outline (Effects>Stroke)?

In terms of mountains I was going to try the overlay tutorial to see if I can make them more diverse.

Once again thanks for your comments.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not too bad for a first try : Besides what was already said, I'd say that the map is too filled. You should remove some elements, reduce font size to make it "breath"

I think you should make it more clear....
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Another try in different style

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern lands.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	51273

I like that last one. How did you do that?

The black Typeface is nice. But I wouldn't kombine the 3D-effect with an outline.
    The ocean labels dont need an outline. The white outline is kind of hard. An outline in the lightest color of the background would be more pleasant (e.g. light grey in the mountains, light green in the woods etc.).

I like that last one. How did you do that?
    Ascension technique mostly but with couple of personal twists like higher and more defined mountain ranges and also colored climate zones.

The black Typeface is nice. But I wouldn't kombine the 3D-effect with an outline.
    The ocean labels dont need an outline. The white outline is kind of hard. An outline in the lightest color of the background would be more pleasant (e.g. light grey in the mountains, light green in the woods etc.).
    Good to know I'm still experimenting with labels and text curve.

Also a follow up question. Do you guys like these labels or not so much?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast