Thread: New member seeking advice on simple map of 800*800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

You could do that real easy with a little bit of a scripting language and your browser. I have something very similar which I have hosted on my site.

Link to Redrobe's MiniMap page.

What you do is make up a text file and each character converts into a little image that the web browser renders in a grid. So for just editing the file with notepad then you can upload it and get it rendered into something nice. You need to take a screen shot of the screen because the screen is made up of loads of little images but thats normally not too hard. Maybe it would be for 800x800 squares tho.

So how big are each of the squares ?

I could modify my little script to do that job if you post up the images of 7 types of square then *all* you have to do is make up the 800x800 x 9 levels of text file !!!

Personally I would not use a web browser but render them directly into an image but to do that you would have to know the scripting language but then you would be able to get one image out. But if your prepared to use your web browser and clip a few screen grabs together then I could make that happen no problem.

You would need to edit up some text files like this:

PPPWWPPPSSSSSPPPPOPPPPCPPPP
    PPPWWWPPSSSSPPPSSPPPPPPPPP
    PPPWWWPPPSSPPPPPSSSPPPPPPP
    etc

to blocks of 100x100 or whatever you wanted to clip out and fit together.

Sounds perfect, better if i understood.

i was thinking of colours 1 each and maybe a number inside

downloaded GIMP but have not figured how to create small squares about 10mm or so

when i was at school we had slate and chalk