Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
Who is going to pull it down? It is 50-60 miles to the nearest village, the road might be about 100 to the nearest decent sized town. Even if a few locals haul away stone for their own things, there was likely a village closer by that would make easier pickings for cut and dressed stone. If I was going to knock bits off a castle to salvage stone for my own use, I would likely nip away at parts of the upper walls where gravity is going to help me, and I'm not risking bringing half the castle down on me . Look at how many large castles stood abandoned in Europe. The biggest thing he'll have to work out is just WHY someone built that big of a castle there in the first place, and what caused the reason for it to exist to disappear.

Agreed. If there is a reason for it to be built, there can be tons of reasons for it to to not have been cannibalized: plague, drought/famine, monster attacks(lizard men for example), insanity, undead, rebellion, cursed, magical destruction(though perhaps partial ruining the castle), etc. Any combination of these (and surely others) would account for the abandonment and superstition could keep people away from the fort.

Of course, with a name like Fort Lost, I assume it has been abandoned so long that no one remembers the original name.

Joe