Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June 2008 Entry: Stormlit Cloister (Groam)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, that's just about perfect. It looks like something out of one of my Illuminated Manuscripts books. Kudos galore.

I really love it Ravs. Clear and artistic. When a map combines those two aspects well its always a winner. I love the text too. I just thought of a slogan for the monastery, that would form part of a mantra of some kind "From surrender, purity, From purity, Salvation".

Well done.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That is a real stunner. Good job.

Couple of questions, to follow up on Waldonrate's glowing pillars - the cloisters at the top end of the lecture area are also remarkably shadowless. The other thing is the compass. If the west gate is on the west of the monastery and the east gate is on the east, then the large pointer of the compass is pointing south, which seems a little counter-intuitive.

I apologise if there is a good reason for that elsewhere on the thread, I admit I just jumped to the most recent version. Otherwise, a truly excellent job. Well done.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Also, you might want a door on the barracks. Currently if your soldiers need to get somewhere in a hurry they have to run a long way through the acolyte's quarters.

Thank you for all the the compliments and for the C&Cs - all of which I will incorporate. It's so helpful having many pairs of eyes to pick up on the oversights. Hopefully it should not be more than an evening's work - what do they say? The last 50% of your time is spent on the last 10% of your drawing?

Torstan! Well spotted with the Compass, I'll reverse the Gate names! I really don't think the design of the compass works with this - I'll make something else up more suitable.

Almost there (phew!)

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Lovely map. One question, though: Everything has contrast shading except the pillars in the grand hall. Do they emit light?
    Man! You're tough!

I really like it Rav. It has a 'knightly' feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Man! You're tough!
    It's a great map! But the pillars looked a little out of place, perhaps to draw attention to them. Imagine the scene: An immense and dark high-vaulted chamber with a single lighted doorway at the far end. As you enter, the nearest pair of pillars begins to glow with a shadowless white light, illuminating the images of titans and gods rendered in fantastic relief from the mosaiced floor through the wall carvings to frescoed ceiling. As you proceed down the row of pillars, each pair lights in succession to reveal further parts of the story of [insert story name here], with the previous pair fading behind you.
    Or maybe it was an oversight. Works either way.

Not tough! This is exactly what I need to spot the oversights.

Here is the latest version in which I hope I have incorporated the C&Cs.

I'm not happy with the motto though....it looks too much like a badge or something.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 June render.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	4412  

Motto fixed and I've made the image a little smaller. I think this is the final entry now.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, everyone.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 june render.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	4427

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm not happy with the motto though....it looks too much like a badge or something.
    That's exactly what some of the churches did. Badges were given out to pilgrims so that they could prove they'd been on pilgrimage when they arrived home.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast