Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the City-Kingdoms of the Hareshk

Oh man, this map is looking fantastic so far V. I could see this one being featured on the front page once it's finished. Here's a bit of rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Wip

Here's a quick update on the map - getting close to finished now. started work on the mountains and highlighting them. I'll follow up with trees and wetlands and other features. I'll probably scrap the cartouche design, though keep a cartouche in the upper left corner, though in a more classical style. Might also check the typography to see if i can come up with anything more pleasing, though I'm happy with the text outside the borders, describing the shields (i'll probably keep that font for the cartouche)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the hareshk.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	51686

Very much liking the mountains. Your own drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Very much liking the mountains. Your own drawings?
    thanks, yeah they're mine. i created them for the Elyden map i created. i really wanted to try make some new mountain brushes though thought id try these out to see if they fit and they seem to be ok. So i'll stick with these.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Of course these mountains fit well but overall the map is very similar to Elyden's one. Maybe this was done in purpose?

The map gets better and better.

I love all these heraldic signs and the border with the explanation. It's a really great job.

I would put the degrees inside the map. For me they look a bit displaced on the rim side of the heraldry boxes.

The labels are a bit undisciplined over all. They are set in different distances to the city points.
    So you could have an eye on it, that letters don't interfere with the longitudes.

Mountain labels outlines could be a bit stronger.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 01-31-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Of course these mountains fit well but overall the map is very similar to Elyden's one. Maybe this was done in purpose?
    not intentionally. If anything i want to try and move away from this style, if anything, just to try something different. its not exactly the same, though granted, it is very similar. Hopefully, the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    I would put the degrees inside the map. For me they look a bit displaced on the rim side of the heraldry boxes.

The labels are a bit undisciplined over all. They are set in different distances to the city points.
    So you could have an eye on it, that letters don't interfere with the longitudes.
    I'm actually looking at these at the moment. Probably better putting the graticules inside, and I'm trying to move the text to get it more legible and stroking it (hehe) to make it more legible around coastlines and mountains. I'm also going to try draw a proper old-school-style graticule and map symbols, though we'll see...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I guess most of all have tendencies to stick with our favorite style that makes some our maps similar

Awesome map!

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    ... and stroking it (hehe) to make it more legible...
    What does mean stroking in that case?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast