Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Silver City (a big city around a waterfall)

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    What do you mean by "economically"?
    The way you place your houses is the place where people would live, close to their work. I take the example of the houses near thre elevator-thing, we can easily imagine it's where the operators live.

Thanks for the textures and the technique !

Guild Adept

Details may still change, but in terms of "placements" the city is finished.
    Now off to find the right colours for buildings. Also, "roofing".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kiryakor-City.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	52271
    Last edited by feanaaro; 02-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Seeing this makes me want to try and make city maps again, very nice

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

That looks really good. I can only imagine how much work you put into this. It's an awesome idea and the city is mapped out really well, and I also like the style of the waterfall. There are two things that I'd like to mention, though:

First, what is the river bank's elevation right next to the waterfall? I mean how much higher than the water level are the first houses? And what is the climate of that region? What I want to say is that it is a potential (big) danger to build a city directly next to a river of that size. For example, the Amazon river is about 5 km in width, but it can grow up to 120 km (!) in the flood season. Which is pretty enormous of course, but still, high tide is a huge problem in cities located directly on river banks. Have you thought about flood walls (if the climate of that region allows high tides at all). Same goes for the islands below the waterfall, as they would be most likely eroded and/or flooded pretty fast in times of high tide.

Second, I don't like the lifts. The isometric depiction destroys the top-down view perspective in my opinion. You could think about the following concept though, which I think is more realistic, too. Elevators normally work with counterweights, a concept that was invented in the the ancient times in Greece. And then there is also the concept of the inclined lift. Combining both with the direct availability of enough water, there is also the concept of a water counterbalanced funicular. Each lift could have a water-tank as counterbalance, that is filled with water at the top making it heavier than the lift (including loading of course), thus pulling it upwards. When you want to go down, the water is slowly released from the tank to let the lift down. Slowly to prevent the lift from crashing down instantly The water that is released from the upper lifts could be stored in some kind of basin or tank on the second level and be used to fill the lower lift's counterbalances. Now, if you think about a funicular instead of a lift, the platforms could be drawn simply as a flat shape, while the lifts could remain the way they are now. Here is an example of the Lärchwand-Schrägaufzug in Austria: 47° 12′ 21.3″ N, 12° 43′ 9.3″ E - Google Maps. What do you think?

This is looking good so far Feanaaro.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Absolutely beautiful. I had a very similar idea for a town of my own and will be using this as my source of inspiration. Excellent work!

Guild Adept

Colouring: I can't decide whether I should let prevail the grey-blueish scheme (which is closer to my original idea of the city) or the reddish-brown one (which I may find more aesthetically pleasing), or keep a mix of them, similar to what I have now.
    Suggestions welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kiryakor-City.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	52334
    Last edited by feanaaro; 02-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Guild Novice

Your city looks amazing. At a glance the waterfall seems smaller, but after a better look it is much bigger. Also the additions to your city makes it seem even better. Keep up the great work!

Looking better and better.

Guild Adept

Thanks, but what do you think about the colour options?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast