Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07][Location 02] Snapgallows

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    Oh, a question of importance for those who know better than I, what is the correct pronunciation of Wyvern,
    Your pronunciation is more correct. I'm not sure why D&D players say wih-vern, but it seems to be fairly well universal within that subset of fantasy lovers. There must have been a pronunciation guide at some point that got it wrong, and it was taken as gospel.

My pronunciation of the word was "corrected" a few years ago, and unfortunately, the short i has stuck with me. I know it's not correct, but I keep saying it anyway.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

I have always called it Wih-vern but I know well that many people say Wye-vern. I believe your right tho in that it comes from Wye area which I pronounce like you. I would imagine that it could be treated as a local dialect difference. Perhaps northern Thrublanders pronounce it one way and Southern the other leading to much local mirth... Maybe we should have it as a West-East thing instead what with there being such a North-South dialect thing going on here in UK. Do you have such a difference in US ? I know of the Southern drawl like country music stuff and New Yorker and the Canadian difference which is so frequently poked at in Southpark but over here it is so vastly different over such short distances - 50 miles and your in whole new language. This is an area which has barely been acknowledged in fantasy. The Belgariad made references to localized customs a lot tho but even in that I don't remember the language or accents being highlighted.

Well as far as local dialects go, before I went in the Air Force and got a vanilla dialect, I said Cah for Car, he-ah for here, as in "you cain't git they-ah from he-ah,,which used to be the common reply for strangers (we called them Sunday Drivers ,edit it were Soonday Drivahs) asking directions, because if they wanted to go someplace two places away, say from my home town of Lisbon to Franconia Notch, which meant they would have to go through Sugar Hill, the common perception was you had to go to Sugar Hill, and from there you could go to Franconia Notch......probably led to a lot of lost flatlanders wandering around the backwoods,,,,for decades,,,"Nope, you cain't git they-ah from he-ah, you cain git to Landaff, though. And off they would drive again....Of course this was back in the days of 1 channel of TV,,,and the one Weatherman was Marty Angstrom from Maine, who lived year round on top of Mt Washington, with a cat for company,,,so thats probably where we all got our accent..I am amazed I remember him, guess black and white tv made him an Icon.

Pronunciation wasn't a big thing really, neither of us knew how to say it so we checked online and went with that, it was just the way that the ADULT corrected him I guess, I don't think anyone should stifle a child's creativity, they are much more original thinkers than we grown ups.

We will go with Snapgallows dialect, we've already added Fick, Yelping, and a slew of other words...and I will have Raith point him to the online talking dictionary,,,,if he can figure out how to type it, and I don't me Raith......I know that was moighty Fick of me, by Heret.

The slew of dialects in England used to throw me, and I was amazed that even cities, it seemed, had dialects named after them,,,,,,,,you guys aren't running some secret clone zone operation over there are you?

Thanks for the answers guys, we'll be Why-vern all the way, so don't be alarmed if you send a message containing orders from Thrub via a Wi-vern, and we send back a Why-vern, with questions....

SeerBlue and Raith Eliathy
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Apparently it's even worse in China. I know a woman who while growing up could not talk with her own grandfather because their dialects were so different. They could communicate in written form, though, because apparently China has only one written language, even though they have hundreds of spoken ones.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post The FHCO Snapgallows Circle

Here's a pic of the Four Happy Carpet Orcs.
    First there is Bumblemouse, she of the Purple Bowtopped Wagon, Gifter of Ethiels, First of the Good Sort, and many other things beyond. Stories are her favorite, and she spreads them throughout West Fentor every Harvest Burning Festival, every town, village, clave, or camp, all on the same day..We don't know how, but any ancient who can be both a mouse and a bee, at the same time, can be everywhere at once. Bumblemouse has a memory that is stronger than the best lock box Cagil the Artificer could craft, forget who was the first Yelper, Bumblemouse will tell you "Oborro of the Silent Voice",,,and whisper the rest of the tell.

Next is Raith Eliathy, Snapgallows Wyvern Master and Trainer. Inadvertantly shrunk to a smidgen of his natural size by a rather befuddled Odduck the Grand, he now strives to regain his stature, in height as well as respect, by being the best Wyvern Master ever.......and he has this strange clutch of eggs his oldest wyvern shuttled to the roost one day....
    Raith is also an excellent builder of things needing built,,,,,complex roofs, switchback stairs, the master of the Explode button in Sketchup,,,,only a truly wise Wyvern Master would click Explode on a model he worked on for hours.

Then there be Ol' HorseHair, Royt by calling, Horsehair by accident.
    Once a member of Bedell's Ranging Company, now Snapgallows unsung defender, Ol Horsehair ranges about striking down Fen Nasties at will, with his trusty DogWallop and Squirillo's, don't even think about raiding a caravan on its way into Snap, you will wake up the next week with a moighty headbumper and not even remember why. Ol Horsehair is a quick wit with a tell, taking in everything around him to craft a story.

Lastly, but only in this list, is Lemur, a little wisp of a musician by day, collector of objects and artifacts that should never be allowed to rest within the grasp of the Seven Families, or 'praps even see the light of day, in the mid of night. She has an affinity for rocks and leafs, and she is wiser and more creative than her apparent age....she often says "When I was Older" followed by the most interesting observations a 3 year old could formulate.... skilled at anything with freeform color and nature, a master of pdparticles.

That's a bit of who the FHCO of the Snapgallows Circle be....

SeerBlue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FHCO500.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	5129  
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-11-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Put a bit of an update to Hebbies Ale House in the Challenge thread.
    I figure I will try to track the updates to that thread here, so once it is locked I don't have to move any info about.
    Snapgallows is still expanding, I just have to sit down long enough to drag some neighborhoods into the .skp file with the terrain, the laptop bogs so with the full file open I dread it.

Four more, at least four more, tells got started, it seems each bit character that comes through the door ends up having a tell of there own, I had to buy a couple new journals and a bag to put it all in, my usual routine of scribbling on what ever was handy was seriously NOT Fick, proven by the fact I found several old envelopes with outlines of tells we had done dashed on them, as paper memory, and now I wonder if I sent my utility bill off with page 4 scrawled on the back of it, as I can't find it......Awaiting a visit from Homeland Security any day now, any day now.
    SeerBlue
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-13-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Well I got off of my duff and moved some of Raith's neighborhoods onto the terrain, and threw up a wall around the Seven Families compound, got to keep the Seveners, and the unwashed Snappies, out.
    The towers, for the compound may get scaled down, unless we decide it is where the outlanders who are hired to guard the compound and the Seven Families trade caravans are billeted.
    Most of it has the textures hidden in sketchup, so I can work on it, and I have a lot more buildings to move about.
    The color scheme is just for identification, as textures will replace them done the road, the long road.
    SeerBlue and The FHCO's

Name:	Snapgallows7F_compound.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	5228  

As the end result for the FHCO Snapgallows adventure will be something they can actually hold and play/read, I've been fiddling with a pdf and "Adventure Cards" for them, just something with a simple illustration and a wee bit of a tell to get them started, and let them run from there.
    In this one, Lemur has to slip into the Seven Families compound and recover an ancient LongBlade. So, the FHCO will have to decide how to do that, a clue for the easiest way is mentioned in the text,
    use the wells, Lemur, use the wells
    Of course that would entail finding someone who can work Limestone with the Silent Voice of Yelping,,,(which Snap has a good few, hiding deep beneath the Dimways).
    Being that The FHCO is a force to be reckoned with, I am sure they will succeed.
    SeerBlue

Name:	Lemur_and_the_LongBlade2.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	5231  

Narf, I spelled compound wrong three times, fixed it, then posted the wrong pic, wellllll, I blame it on the Squirillos.
    SeerBlue

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast