Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torstan's Academy

Default Torstan's Academy

As I posted in a previous post (here).

Torstan's "academy" tile is just that friggen amazing that I've been toying with it for a while.

I wanted to show how gimp and google's sketchup can be combined to turn out some seriously awesome maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Priory-map.png 
Views:	812 
Size:	563.2 KB 
ID:	51448
    Original Image
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	priory-academy-3d.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	51449
    Extruded to give a third dimension in Google Sketchup.

Enjoy!
    -GP

Nice work!

might have to give sketchup a try....whats the learning curve?
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Once you watch their tutorial videos it didn't take me too long before I was making simple buildings and things. The hard part is when you try and wrap skins around the shapes that you're making (like what I did with the academy) that takes a lot of practice, coffee and patience.

-GP

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice! (except buildings shadows that don't look natural)

Ok....so maybe wait till I have a break in summer to give it whirl....or when someone in the guild decides to graciously volunteer to write a nice little tutorial...hint..hint...nudge..nudge...
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

Wow, this looks quiet impressing! It remembers me on one of the example images i had in school for technical drawing a few years ago.

Nixe to see a 3D-Image as well!

I'm not an expert but I could (working on) write a tutorial for how I did the image I posted. It's a basic example so you should be able to extrapolate from there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's really cool! What a great idea.

oK, I have the tutorial almost complete.

What I've done was to take one of the variations on Torstan's "Academy" map and then extrude it from a 2D map to a 3D model with a step-by-step guide for how it's done. I will be posting it in the Tutorial section so as not to clutter up this sub-forum.

While doing the tutorial it occurred to me that it would be really interesting to extrude a dungeon map. It wouldn't be that hard since most dungeon maps are based off of a simple grid. Now I just have to find a good map to use as an example.

Any suggestions?

-GP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast