Thread: June Entry: Fenridge Castle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I'll get you some height map stuff that has been eroded at a much smaller scale and we shall see if it throws up any useful rivers. I use my GTS prog to do that. I have about 3 people asking for some erosions to do plus I was building Kasim a world using it when my PC died a week or so ago. Its up and running again but before it was water cooled and now I just stuck a stock fan on it. Well I am running at 65degC idle. If I run GTS it goes up sky high (I got them over 100degC and pulled the plug on the run) as it cooks all of the cores to max so I have to refit the water. I got all the bits to do it again now but ill have to go offline again for a while while its in pieces. All the data is backed up tho so worst comes to it I can run it slow on something else. I am going to make a start now so ta ta for a day or so.

-- EDIT: BTW, You might like the 3D viewer as its free and the Thrub download for it is still available. Look at post #6 onwards from the Fentor Cross thread here. You can see the relative height of Fenridge using it. Need a reasonable graphics card to make it look whizzy tho.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1854
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks again! I've got plenty to run with now. Good luck with your water cooled beast.

Blog Entries

The beast has awoke and its hungry...

So I have been feeding it tonight and I have the first level of the Fenridge Area. I can see now why I put the castle where it is. It seems to sit on a high peak. I have made the terrain a bit more watery than you might normally find in pure karst regions but were just fudging the issue now to get some water as you seem a bit concerned about it.

So hope you like it so far. I will do another of even more detail over the castle mountain bit so you can map it from there. This map is about 120 miles across so completely useless to use as a base for a battle scale map.

I spent a while getting the script right as I have a few more to use it on. They should have the same look and feel as this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fenridge1_3D.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	813.5 KB 
ID:	4234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	4235  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I hope the beast stays hungry for a little longer, the image on the left looks gorgeous!
    I gotta do Snapgallows, Hardy Island and/or Old Mere Fort and I ought to pick somewhere for myself too. That might be rolled with the Hardy Island and I might to Hawker Point, Hardy Point and the Krull Crossing. Takes about 15 mins now to do any point on the map like that so I should think I will cover it in time.

Great Work there Redrobes, GTS is really shining now!
    SeerBlue

Guild Journeyer

That is wonderful stuff!

Could I get greyscale height map data of the shown area? I've started on the castle but I'd like to do a 'regional closeup' as I would want one as a DM myself. Also I could match the bump's general contours.

My working backstory is that this is the local's equivalent of Helm's Deep - A place of refuge. The castle got build a while back when the lizardmen almost siezed the high ground. Now the castle sits astride the only practical route up Fenridge. Except for ninja pirates - they can scale anything.