Thread: From the game industry interested in bringing life to our favorite worlds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ok, well if you like you can download my free height map tool for debug which is here. The other thing you can do is get some height map data. For the earth there is quite a lot and mostly revolve around the shuttles radar the SRTM stuff so have a search on that stuff. I have some links on my other machine saved away for some repositories of that too. You can usually get the height data into images using a number of free tools but you will most likely use QGis and Wilbur. I write my own but it depends on the exact data format that you can get hold of. Since I am on the MeDem team then I can get a height map of the current medem data but on the whole for continents most of it is very flat with some ridge like mountains. So in 8 levels its not going to look all that special. Smaller places like islands or hill sides would look great tho.

Heres medem in 3D which shows that its not going to look all that special. The mountains have improved greatly since then tho.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-31-2013 at 07:31 PM.