Thread: Redesign of world map...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Give some thought to what caused those islands to form. An archipelago like that is probably similar in history to the Phillippines. Take a look at the distribution of those real-world islands (try Google Maps in satellite view mode). Notice that they tend to form chains--they're the peaks of an undersea mountain range. I think I'd expect to see a chain of large islands running southward from that big peninsula, possibly forming a rim over to that other peninsula to the west. The smaller islands would have formed between and around the larger ones.

To your question about which to do first: rivers or mountains. It's generally better to do the mountains first, because that will largely determine where your rivers should go. If you have a river that needs to be in a particular place, then you can put that down first and figure out where the mountains need to go to make it happen later.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Ya... it is generally a good idea to think of how they formed like Mid said... Volcanic activity, plate techtonics play a large 'natural' effect on how islands are formed... as well as glacial activity (look at a map of norway and finland http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,11.359863&z=7... those islands have a different look than those in the phillipines http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...6,2.839966&z=9 because they were formed in a different fashion.

Also.. you could meteor impacts as well as magical reasons that islands formed... in my homebrew world... the barbarian islands were formed because of an ancient magical catastrophe and the main land being destroyed and partially sunk....

and yes. You should start with Mountains then Rivers... as mid said.. they generally determine the flow and (starting point) of rivers....

Guild Journeyer

OK! After some (or a lot, I can't actually recall ) hours of work, here it is. The all new map of the continent of Khalkish.

This is based on Ascension's tutorial (major-mega-thanks!) with some tweaks that suited me better.

So, comments as always welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	khalkish_asc.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	4281  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the peninsulas...I never have enough patience for them...I just finish my base area then have my automaton (ps action) finish it all up for me. Lookin good so keep on keepin on

Wow! That's not the style I expected to see! It looks really nice, but it appears very dark on my monitor. You might check your gamma; it looks very good if I turn mine up.

I like what the coastal glow did for the islands--they now look like they're sitting on a series of undersea ridges, which helps them to look less uniform in distribution.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Very nice....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for your comments guys. I am currently reviewing all my notes about this continent to see if I have missed or misplaced anything and then I will proceed with labeling and polishing the map.

I am working on some more stuff, I hope to upload some WIP soon...