Thread: Olenis - Coastal City

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    I'll take these suggestions into consideration as I work on my second draft. But I did have one question regarding the comment about how it was open to all sides. As I understand it, with the reef/sandbar and the wall, the only route of attack from the sea would be through that smallish opening. Making for an effective bottleneck. This was my hope/idea. And I will be adding the interior soon.

I was thinking that the keep would either be on the island thing in the river. Or near the military docks on the north side of the city. And this is a coastal city.

And in the event that I can't fid the answer on google what is an "overlay sketch"? Sorry but I don't really know drawing terms.

And in the event that I can't find the
    Ok if I understand the layout (correct me if I don't) sea area to right / land area to left with the town proper within the walls on the seaward side. Then the area between the upper island and the sandbar is entirely open for warships to enter. don't forget that an invading force will use a land army also This then opens the entire seaward side of the city as an "assault beach". Now the fortress on the river island that would afford better protection. This make sense to you? Or have I gotten your intentions all wrong?

Socks are you locked into this layout because of an existing campaign? If not take the time to refine the design some while conforming with some basic geography. You state this is a low lying area, then the river will more than likely be "slow flow = wider" vs "fast flow = narrower" (generically), so the river mouth will spread out into the sea area. Your river will not have any height to make this a waterfall type of cut, if it is in say a "Delta Plain".
    Also a good harbor will over protection from storms, usually in the nooks and crannies of a coastal profile. I'd use google as my friend and find terrain you like to match and refine your work. I think you have a good idea going, just need to refine. Good Journeys
    Last edited by Vellum; 02-05-2013 at 08:41 AM.