Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
Ok now on to a little refinement. I inked the sketch as my scan was so poor, I want you to do this in pencil LOL do as I say not as I do Lets can the continent numbering and go with your naming convention from your other posts. Bring in some thumbnails here of the continents you've previously drawn.
We want to start making your continent size conform with your bubble layout, this is where the eraser will come into play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swm-2.jpg 
Views:	2624 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	51923
I'm not sure which map you wanted me to look over but I assume it's this one.

To have any chance of making sense of tectonics, you have to know what projection your map is in, and even then it's still going to be hard as tectonics is really dependant on the geometry being spherical rather than planar. If you have a real physical ball you can draw on, you might want to try that and then try to transfer the result to a map.

Assuming that's meant to be a cylindrical projection of a whole globe, there are some obvious problems. Your faults should line up across the "date line" at the east and west edges of the map, and you need to remember that the entire top and bottom of a global cylindrical map represent just a single point. So you have a single plate wrapped around the north pole, with a fault that runs up into it to exactly the pole, and then just stops.

I'm not really an expert on geology so I can't give to much help there. If you really are concerned with getting it right, you need to be aware of the different shapes you get from convergent, subduction, divergent, and transform faults. Divergent and transform faults tend to meet at 90 degree angles for instance. Looking at some real world maps like Filelates tect2 en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia might help there (Keep in mind that that map is in Normal Mercator projection and has the poles cut off.).