Thread: Large regional map divided into smaller maps?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I agree with Torstan about using different Maps for the world-view and the regional-view. If you try to put all the regional data in a worldmap it would look totally packed.

But I dont agree with the method suggested to keep the consistency between the different scales. If you scale up a "small" zone of your world map to use it as reference in your regional map you will end redrawing the coastal lines (to avoid the pixelated effect produced by the scale-up of the image). This redrawing would produce shape inconsistencies that could be avoided.

My suggestion is that you should begin your project with enough image size to allow you to use the general shapes of the land masses in your future maps.

Let's talk about numbers. If we are talking about a map of 200x100 centimeters (about 7,1x3,5 inches) the image should have about 21000x10500 pixeles. Create your coastlines with that resolution and then (if you want to work with a small file) resize down the image, BUT allways keeping the original hires file. Then, when you want to create a regional map of a continent or isle open the hires file CROP the area and work on the new file, it will have enought size to give you A4 prints and without doing any resize, redraw o shape modification.

Bye,
    Last edited by AntonioFrade; 02-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.