Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's the odt for ya (zipped). It was originally written in Word so this is just a "save as".
    Thanks. FYI, you do not need to zip an OpenOffice file. It is already a compressed format. You gain nothing by zipping it.

Any help on the lakes or clouds would be appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can't directly upload odt files to this forum so, yes, I did have to zip it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Well that is good to read, but specifically, step 21 has me confused. Im not sure the step is clear to a newbtard like myself. Here is the step... problem part...

21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

My problem is I don't know where to add the Layer Styles, and if I assume that Im putting them in on the base layer, then it only allows me to put one on there.

Edit: For Example... I think Im supposed to use Color Layer to do all that jazz since it seems to have all the right information that I need. I am confused on how to make multiples, or if certain layers such as Mountain or Hills are supposed to have the differeng layers laid out in this portion.

Guild Novice

Heh funny story... Im on the wrong post. Gosh Dern it...

pretty cool your tuto, thanks!!!!

Sorry to repeat the need for help, but I'm having a little trouble here:

8. Create a new layer and Edit > fill = 50% gray. Set the layer’s mode to hard mix and change the name to “base”.

// When I followed these steps the layer keeps coming out as a giant gray mass. No blotches or anything. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. The Fill Content Use: 50% Gray, and for the Blending I'm using the Hard Mix. Do I need to reduce the opacity or something?

EDIT: HAHA! I figured it out. I was changing the Hard Mix inside the Fill rather than changing the blending mode on the layer to Hard Mix. A little confusing I guess, but it's probably because I'm not too good with the technical terms of PS.
    Last edited by DMJay; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Fix'd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMJay View Post
    EDIT: HAHA! I figured it out. I was changing the Hard Mix inside the Fill rather than changing the blending mode on the layer to Hard Mix. A little confusing I guess, but it's probably because I'm not too good with the technical terms of PS.
    Run through this tutorial a few times, and you'll have a pretty good working base knowledge for using Photoshop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm. Do you know in Step 34 which layer you're supposed to be adding the reversed gradient to? I'm not sure I played around with it by moving it to different layers, but never quite got the same effect that is illustrated in Step 39.

I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, but it's obvious I didn't follow one of the steps completely.
    Last edited by DMJay; 03-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Default Finished the Tutorial

There's the final. Thanks for this tutorial. It's amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishedmap..gif 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	23316  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The layer with the bas relief; I might lower the opacity or erase a bit to leave more flatland to put towns n stuff. Not a big thing. Otherwise, looks great, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast