Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

It seems that my word processor doesn't recognize the format you saved the tutorial in. Do you have it saved in a different format? PDF works I know...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There should be a .PDF version in this post.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post *sigh*

I'm having an extraordinarily hard time with this tutorial.

I am beginning to think that I'm the sort of guy that has to be walked through everything bit by bit.

One of the problems I'm having is the naming of the layers. I'm seeing lots of people here making continents, so I'm assuming its a problem of my own. My brain is aging too fast!

I'm having issues starting with step nine. What is the "background copy" layer?
    Last edited by Carnagefiend; 10-17-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you look at your layer stack, the bottom layer should say Background. If you duplicate this layer, then the new layer will automatically be named Background copy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I suppose this is why I'm having a hard time with it, since they're mostly personal notes to yourself as a reminder. There's a lot of gaps.

For instance, in steps 7, 8, and 9 I got really confused. By step 9 I assume we should have 3 layers.

Blank layer
    Cloudy Layer 2
    background copy

And then you apply the fill effect (50% gray) to the background copy?

EDIT: These questions are probably dumb for you, but I'm concerned about what my layers are. One mistaken layer and everything is kaput...

You're not reading carefully or you are over-complicating things. Step six says filter - render - clouds...since this is the very first thing we do it should be on the background layer. Step seven says to duplicate that layer...it gets auto-named background copy. Step eight says to create a new layer and fill it with 50% gray, set the blend mode to hard mix, and rename the layer to base. How many layers is that? Three. Step nine says to click on the background copy layer and do some airbrushing. The last sentence has a typo, though. It says to copy a layer when it should say duplicate. That makes four.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

This is my very first map.

I used both tutorials, this one and the Atlas one.

So what anyone thinks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3333.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	17887  

Only two things jump out at me. The desert needs to be less white so, on a new layer, airbrush in some yellows and tans and oranges then play around with the blend mode and opacity. The ocean looks like it follows the tut pretty well but, and this is probably my fault, I'd put some lighter color around the coasts to signify the shallow area. All in all, good job.

I just finished my first map using this tutorial; until now I had always used crude hand drawings and I'm very impressed with the results I see so far with this method. Some things are a bit "off" and it isn't the most realistic geography but it's much better than anything that's been put in front of my gaming group for the last few years. If anyone has any comments I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worldmap.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	734.5 KB 
ID:	18618  

I'd say it looks fine. And before anyone says that the shelf looks like it goes down...the sun is coming from the south east and not the northwest.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast