Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

I can't access this tutorial. It refuses to open and crashes my WP program. Is there some way you could post it instead? I know it's been around a long time.

Haha, that's embarrassing, I didn't mean for the sun to be coming in from the opposite angle. I thought that the ocean shelf looked a little weird myself (that is what we're talking about, right?) but I didn't realize my lighting was abnormal. Thanks for pointing it out, gonna see how it looks both ways now,

Hey, new person to the forums. Love fantasy and the idea of your own universe so to pass some time before I am shipped out for the Army I decided to take a hand at your tutorial to really bring my story to life and this is what I got using Photoshop CS4.

Just had one question if anyone could kindly direct me to a tutorial or a quick overview on adding destroyed bridges or something of the like? The only way to get to and from my 2 provinces is by the peninsula like land masses that almost connect to each other but was destroyed by a war and was the only bridge connecting the 2 provinces, I wanted to add some sort of debris or half a bridge or something to add to it if you have any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turienoth.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	731.9 KB 
ID:	19033  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For that I would look through the Dunjinni.com user forums and pick up some rocks and stones...I know there are some bridges there and I think a few docks that could be used.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'd just like to thank you for this tutorial first - great job, I learned a lot and have been looking for something like this for a while.

Secondly, here's my result. What do you think?

http://www.majortopio.com/tutmap.jpg

Love those big mountains. They look really tall and very imposing. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

This is brilliant. I know how I will be spending my weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I don't have MS Office anymore so I'm using Open Office.
    I am so glad that you are using OpenOffice. That is what I use, as well (I switched from MS Office about eight years ago, and have been very pleased).

I am not sure why you would have problems exporting to PDF. OpenOffice has supported export-to-PDF forever. But even OpenOffice has a bug or two -- maybe try installing the most recent version?

And could you upload the original OpenOffice document, rather than the save-as-M$-Word version? OO's "doc" export is pretty good, but I much prefer to have the proper format.
    Last edited by bblackmoor; 12-10-2009 at 12:18 AM.

I'll do it tomorrow evening when I get home from work, it's late now and I was just checkin in.

Gah. Note to self: save often, particularly before applying filters. All I really lost were the lakes I went back and added, but it's still annoying.

Ah, well. I might start over, anyway. I was using 12800x12800 resolution (I was trying to do the whole eastern hemisphere), and the "clouds" turn into noise when the image is that big. I got around it during the first "render clouds" step by rendering them and then stretching one-quarter of the image to cover the whole thing, but when I got to step 18 (render difference clouds x 2), I saw no change in the image at all.

Since I have to redo the lakes again one way or the other, I have a question: does it matter if I add lakes in step 13 or 14? I added lakes in step 13, but then step 14 said to duplicate the layer and then add lakes. so that seemed a little odd.
    Last edited by bblackmoor; 12-11-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast