Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's the odt for ya (zipped). It was originally written in Word so this is just a "save as".
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's the odt for ya (zipped). It was originally written in Word so this is just a "save as".
    Thanks. FYI, you do not need to zip an OpenOffice file. It is already a compressed format. You gain nothing by zipping it.

Any help on the lakes or clouds would be appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can't directly upload odt files to this forum so, yes, I did have to zip it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by I Killed Kenny View Post
    This is my very first map. I used both tutorials, this one and the Atlas one. So what anyone thinks?
    You might try using an airbrush with the desert colors or the forest colors and breaking up the desert so that it isn't quite so obviously a stripe. Maybe make it follow the landscape, and have more green along the coast, and have the desert be inland?

These are just ideas. Of course it would depend on what you have in mind for the geography.

Quote Originally Posted by sarandosil View Post
    Here's my attempt. Didn't bother trying to tweak it too much in the interest of time, hhe. I'll do that for the campaign map I'm working on.
    I like that big mountain in the middle. My mountains look more like plateaus....

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Anyway, here's step 12 with a bit of jazz thrown in.
    I really like the shape of that continent, and the little islands.

Guild Novice

So, Im a complete newb to Photoshop so when Step 21, and I have nooooo idea how to properly add layer styles, and Ive tried a couple different things, but If I could get a bit of a walkthrough regarding this step in a more detailed way, that would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJayde View Post
    So, Im a complete newb to Photoshop so when Step 21, and I have nooooo idea how to properly add layer styles...
    Here you go:

http://www.tutorial9.net/photoshop/l...-in-photoshop/

Guild Novice

Well that is good to read, but specifically, step 21 has me confused. Im not sure the step is clear to a newbtard like myself. Here is the step... problem part...

21. Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

My problem is I don't know where to add the Layer Styles, and if I assume that Im putting them in on the base layer, then it only allows me to put one on there.

Edit: For Example... I think Im supposed to use Color Layer to do all that jazz since it seems to have all the right information that I need. I am confused on how to make multiples, or if certain layers such as Mountain or Hills are supposed to have the differeng layers laid out in this portion.

Guild Novice

Heh funny story... Im on the wrong post. Gosh Dern it...

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast