Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

pretty cool your tuto, thanks!!!!

There was a very large part of me that just died out of joy, and I'm almost positive that my kidney was part of that...i heard a large boom just now from somewhere in that general vacinity.

That map is amazing! I've been looking for a long time for a decent tutorial on how to make a map like that. Thank you so much!

Sorry to repeat the need for help, but I'm having a little trouble here:

8. Create a new layer and Edit > fill = 50% gray. Set the layer’s mode to hard mix and change the name to “base”.

// When I followed these steps the layer keeps coming out as a giant gray mass. No blotches or anything. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. The Fill Content Use: 50% Gray, and for the Blending I'm using the Hard Mix. Do I need to reduce the opacity or something?

EDIT: HAHA! I figured it out. I was changing the Hard Mix inside the Fill rather than changing the blending mode on the layer to Hard Mix. A little confusing I guess, but it's probably because I'm not too good with the technical terms of PS.
    Last edited by DMJay; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Fix'd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMJay View Post
    EDIT: HAHA! I figured it out. I was changing the Hard Mix inside the Fill rather than changing the blending mode on the layer to Hard Mix. A little confusing I guess, but it's probably because I'm not too good with the technical terms of PS.
    Run through this tutorial a few times, and you'll have a pretty good working base knowledge for using Photoshop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm. Do you know in Step 34 which layer you're supposed to be adding the reversed gradient to? I'm not sure I played around with it by moving it to different layers, but never quite got the same effect that is illustrated in Step 39.

I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, but it's obvious I didn't follow one of the steps completely.
    Last edited by DMJay; 03-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Default Finished the Tutorial

There's the final. Thanks for this tutorial. It's amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishedmap..gif 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	23316  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The layer with the bas relief; I might lower the opacity or erase a bit to leave more flatland to put towns n stuff. Not a big thing. Otherwise, looks great, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Love this tutorial. I got frustrated at first because I was trying to do this in Photoshop Elements 7, which doesn't have much in the way of layer style editing, but then I remembered that I still have CS lying around. Here's what I've got so far! I decided to remove the ice and desert parts of the gradient, since I plan to add more complex climate zones later.

Name:	continent 1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	27723  
    "Is Eris true?"
    "Everything is true."
    "Even false things?"
    "Even false things are true."
    "How can that be?"
    "I don’t know man, I didn’t do it."

~ The Principia Discordia 5th ed., Introduction

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Excellent tutorial! Here's what I came up with. I know this has problems, (the lakes in southern edge are too close to the ocean... erosion would have turned them into bays), but this was just a test run. It took me about 2 hours and is pretty easy to follow.

What version of Photoshop are you using? I have 7 and it seems to be a little different from what you must be using, especially in the select -> color range options. I've included a quick shot of that dialog box, and as you can see, I can't select 'black'. So I use the eyedropper on the image and try to get the closest to black I can get. I think not having this feature has led to the very 'wavy' ocean... the waves are a little harsh because I couldn't select true black.

Thanks for this tutorial! I'm going to see if I can find a newer version of Photoshop sometime here soon.

* EDIT * I just realized that as long as my colors are black/white before I select color range, it seems that I can click on the black color palette in the tool bar and get black. Is that how you're doing it? Thanks again!

Name:	continent1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	29729  
    Last edited by JiveMiguel; 09-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast