Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Exactly, when you pick select - color range it uses the currently active color. So put any color there and you can select a color range. I never use the drop-down menu there and I always forget about it. As to the map, I might tone down the ocean waves but everything else seems to be in order.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Now that I understand this whole 'rep' thing, let it be known that I've given you some for this tut. Thanks again, well done!
    "If only Dionysus were alive! Where would he eat?"

I'm completely lost at step 33. I can't choose the "Inverse"-option. It's greyed out. I have CS3 and I selected the correct layer by holding CTRL and clicking on it in the layer palette. What went wrong?

E: I can do Inverse when I only select one layer, for example the base layer, but when I Inverse, nothing happens. No textures.
    Last edited by kallekula; 10-02-2010 at 04:53 PM.

I've been on vacation so I didn't answer before but now that I'm back just give me a screenshot...the whole screen showing the layers palette and such. I'm suspecting that the base layer still has black on it so when you try to inverse you get nothing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thats a great Tutorial ^^
    But i need a little help now D:

Im from Germany and a few points are very difficult to understand for me .____. Sepecially point 14 and 15. These two points are knocking me over D:
    I did everything i could do, but i wont work O.o my steps doesnt look like your examples in the tutorial.

Thanks Ascension for this incredible tutorial! I madly respect anyone who teaches their craft and gives away their secrets for the benefit of the art!

I've been running through this tutorial and I noticed a few things to make it stronger. I work as a pre-press illustrator/editor in the publishing industry, so I'd like to offer my experience to help it see the potential it deserves.

Things get tricky when going through a personal workflow. A lot can go wrong but I think you’ve done an incredible job with documenting your steps. That said; please don’t take the following critique personally:

A lot of the great advice you give should be separated from the steps as a "side-note" or "tip." This will make for the actual reading of your instructions more fluid. The numbering of steps could be improved as well. Your steps 1 through 4 are a great intro and they don’t need to be numbered. Your true step 1 would be step 5.

The pictures being numbered as steps are also a bit confusing. The implications being that the reader is left wondering if the picture is an actual stand-alone step or if it’s illustrating the step before or following the picture. This could be clarified with “see figure a” type notations for reference to the pictures.

More pictures! This may seem more like a nit-pick (maybe it is) considering I’d have to know your personal intent and target audience behind the tutorial, but a tut of this magnitude should have a picture for each step.

A space or two in-between steps would do wonders for readability. Also, try a font much better for internet reading, such as Verdana.

There is a definite breakdown in work flow between steps 9 – 15. It stopped me dead in my tracks from completing the tutorial. It seems that the person who posted before me (Larxene1 may have gotten caught with it as well. The problem exists in that, in step 9, the BASE layer gets absorbed and changes into the BACKGROUND COPY 2 layer. So in step 14 you mention a BASE COPY layer and step 15 you mention a BASE layer. These layers don’t exist. To which layers are you now referring?

Again, I hope this review doesn’t seem too harsh. I’m a fan of your work and wouldn’t take the time to offer my insight unless I love what you do and what you stand for at this community. You’re a great teacher at this craft and I only wish to help you strengthen this tutorial as a presentation of your workflow.

Humbly,
    AgentK9

No worries, man. I was a real noob when I wrote this and still am, really. I know diddly squat about presentations and publishing. I used Office 98 and I still don't know how to use it properly, that's why the pics get numbered. I had a lot more pics in it at the beginning but trying to fit it online forced me to take a bunch of them out; the original was over 100 megabytes. The breakdown in 9-15 came from a re-write and I got mixed up and lost myself and I still don't know how to fix it. I'm not all that smart. I agree with everything you have said but I haven't touched this thing in about 18 months because I don't want to mess it up any further. Thanks for your assessment, it's spot on and I really do appreciate it. You obviously know what you're talking about. I really need an editor for this thing and I also need to fix those broken steps as well. I've had this on my list of things to do for quite some time - I just need to buckle down and get it done.

Guild Applicant

Hi Ascension and thanx for the great tutorial! I found brilliant the idea of the 10% op brush to place land and ocean keeping the irregular borders!

I've got a question thou...on point 1 you say to "reverse cloud" and then "repeat". But a second reverse cloud would just slip back to previous configuration, so making no change at all! did I missed something? Moreover, you get a complex and very 'contrasty' cloud render in the closest figure, while, following letter-bby-letter, I found myself with a cotton-like softy clouds...so mountains do not get very well. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Guild Applicant

sorry, it was point 18!

There is no reverse cloud, it is Difference Cloud. It does not do the same thing as the first cloud. Each rendition of the cloud filter makes a totally new cloud. The Difference Cloud basically is just a new cloud but given a treatment that takes two colors and combines them but the output becomes opposite. Just try it.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast