Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hmm, odd. I re-uploaded the doc file so give that a whirl.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I see step 9 now. Thanks!

Just a heads up for anyone trying this tutorial in Photoshop CS4. Ctrl-Click (or Command-Click for Macs) on a layer no longer creates a selection from that layers contents. You have to click on the layer thumbnail, next to the layer name. The reason for the change is that you can now select multiple layers in CS4.

It's same in CS3, but not earlier versions

Thanks! I've been wondering if I had hallucinated that function back when I was using PS 7 since CS3 didn't do it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'll edit this (as I only have CS) to fit the updated versions of photoshop. Thanks for the info.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

This tutorial is awesome!

I might have missed it, but what blending mode did you use for the land layer and the hills layer? Right now i have my land layer on multiply and my hills layer on soft light. It looks great, but different.

Thanks!

Edit:
    This is my attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorialmap.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	9235  
    Last edited by woekan; 01-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.

The land layer's mode is normal, the gradient overlay on the land layer is at hard light. Yes, the hills layer mode is set to soft light, I also change the opacity and bevel size depending on how I'm feeling. It looks like you didn't do the difference clouds on the mountain layer (got to do it twice) so the mountains look a lil more fluffy but hey, to each his own, right? Nice job and glad you liked it.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-14-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Ah! My mistake, i threw the gradient overlay onto the base layer. Thanks again!

Guild Novice

I think I've done something wrong. For Step 37 your tutorial shows the the shape of the continent and the colours/features within it and a the cloudy-light-effects thing on the outside. Mine however just shows black on the outside and I've got no idea what to do. If it makes any difference I'm using Photoshop CS. Has it got something to do with opacity? I'm sorry, I've probably missed something really obvious.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast