Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My guess is that you've probably not deleted the black ocean from the base layer. Could you throw up a screenshot so that I could take a gander at it?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Holy hell, it just worked itself out. Thanks for your quick response either way - I don't know what I did wrong or what I just did right to fix it but it's working now. Sorry to bother you.

This tutorial has made me one happy camper! Here's what I managed to do with it.

This is a very reduced version. Anyone who wants to see it full-size is welcome to click here but be warned, it is a large file.

Thank you so much for this excellent tutorial!

Hey...looks pretty good, love your reef layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Hey, this is pretty much my first tutorial and my first serious attempt at making a map in Photoshop. Right now I'm having trouble with step 9:

9. Create a new layer and Edit > fill = 50% gray. Set the layer’s mode to hard mix and change the name to “base”.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the layer's mode to 'hard mix'. I'm using Photoshop Elements, for the record. Thanks for the help!

EDIT- Also, I am not sure how to link layers together. Is that the same as 'Group with previous layer'?
    Last edited by Everyman; 03-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Guild Adept

Which version of Elements? I use version 2 and it does not have Hard Mix as a Layer Mode. As I understand it, Hard Mix was added in a later version but I do not know which.

You could go with Threshold, or Levels, or Curves, or Brightness/Contrast to make it solid black and white. I favor the brightness/contrast way but most others prefer the threshold way.

Well .. i am an absolute n00b .. i can not seem to get past.

9. The hard mix will change the look of things to straight black and white with no grays.

As i go through the process, once i have the 50% gray and select the ocean copy, and attempt to paint in my land and oceans. With the opacity set to 10% i can not see a darn thing regardless of if i am working on the gray layer or the ocean layer.

If i hide he gray layer, and paint on the ocean layer its all just faint lines, same as when i paint in the gray layer.

I'm terrible with photoshop.. but i am trying to learn

OK I think I can spot two things:
    1. Your gray layer needs to be set at hard mix so that it looks like cow spots and
    2. When painting on the ocean copy layer make sure that you are using a big ole fat airbrush tip on a brush (not a pencil) -- I use the 300-pixel airbrush tip with an opacity of the brush set to 10% (this can be found at the top of the screen). As you airbrush the black color on the ocean copy layer your black sea on the gray/hard mix layer will grow, vice-versa for white/land. If your tip is small you won't produce much of anything other than thin lines that won't do much.

Thanks for the reply.

1) I did set it to hard mix bu nothing shows through to the gray layer, which is on top of the ocean copy

2) Aye, i grabbed a big ol brush and painted, there are faint lines that appear on the ocean layer but nothing on the gray layer.

I have obviously missed a step somewhere me thinks

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast