Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Doh!

Ok, what I didnt do was change the layer to Hard Mix, I only did the Fill Mode Hard Mix.

My bad

Mm... an now that I am starting to paint, when i use the brush for black (water) the edges of the black are kinda reddish/pink ..
    Last edited by Wyldehart; 03-05-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That means that the hard mix gray layer is picking up a color somewhere underneath...either in the color your painting with (not completely black 0,0,0 or white 255,255,255) or in the grayscale clouds having a touch of color somehow. I guess it's also possible that the gray layer might be shifted towards a color slightly and not the true 50% gray but I'm not real sure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Genius .. black still had red=1 .

Ok, next question now that i am starting to feel more comfortable with my talents (heh) ..

the pencil tool for doing finer detail, there are large areas where the pencil will not draw through to the 50% grey layer. the ocean copy show the "scribbles" but in some areas on the map, they just do not show through ;

ie. in the large land mass i can not draw in the center, though if there is an existing lake. i can draw "scribble" on the borders of the lake with more black... just cant seem to create a "new" lake.

Gotcha...for that I use a big black airbrush of either 100, 200 or 300 pixels (at 20% opacity) and click a few times. This will put more and more black into the ocean copy layer, when it gets dark enough the gray hard mix layer will pick it up and a black lake will pop up and grow with each new click. Then you can fine tune with smaller airbrush tips to make whatever shape you want.

This part, adding lakes, only takes about 10 seconds per lake...that is, once you get used to it it becomes quite easy (just a handful of clicks) but the first time trying something new is always a bit daunting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Ok... So far so good, I get to #20 for lighting effects, and lighting effects are Grayed out. darn... and i was on a roll.

If your in 16-bit mode some filters are not accessible, my guess is they would require more memory than your pc can handle. I have the same problem so I use 8-bit only.

Right again

Item #27, the omni directional light, i am using CS3 and i cant seem to get my light not have "5" omni lights. I just get a single circle that i can move around and expand.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

If I remember correctly you have to add the other 4 lights manually...though I am not 100% sure on that one.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok, i will try.

Next would be item #30, since i skipped the lighting for the time being.

I click the reef, ctrl-click the base and try to do a select- > inverse, but it is grayed out however.

Nice, ok, the little light bulb creates more light but is there supposed to a a brighter light in the center of the texture ?
    Ok, fixed this, just redid it and made sure the intensity for the omni was at the same level for all of the points.

Still cant select inverse however.
    Last edited by Wyldehart; 03-06-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Is your base layer black sea and white land? It should be white land and clear (nothing) for the sea. That way the step will work. If it's solid black and white all you end up selecting is the entire image and thus no inverse is possible.

To get rid of all of the black on that layer do this:
    1. Click on the base layer to make it visible.
    2. Select > Color range = use black with any amount of fuzziness.
    3. Hit the delete key on the keyboard.
    4. Deselect (ctrl-d).
    5. Hide the base layer again by poking out it's eye in the layer palette.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-06-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast