Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Ok, some great progress, thanks allot.

Line #55, for adjusting colors for the land.

I am not a great colorist, but have found and ok palette template for blends. However i am, having an issue with a combination of proper blend modes, brush hardness and proper color selections for the areas to adjust.

Any pointers here would be great, thanks again

I have attached what i have so far ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KharonA3i.gif 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	11002  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Use big airbrushes, use no more than 20% opacity on the brush...build up the colors instead of plopping down a big blob, and for color inspiration look at some real satellite shots from Google Earth or Flash Earth. Oh and make sure that you don't paint out into the ocean. The finishing touches of a map and color tweaks are open for loads of experimentation so do as you see fit. It doesn't have to look like mine, it just has to make you happy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok! just a few more steps to go.

#55, crunchiness to the MTNs

a few questions here.. when following the directions for this, all it really looks like is a static white film over top of the mtns and hill regions

as for the hills, early on in the tutorial we created hills layer but never used it? and now we are creating more hills. while the big hills look great, the small hi8lls look the same as the big hills?

just need some help with the crunch, and hills thanks

Something is messed up...my version has big hills at 58 and crunch at 59. The original hills layer gets finished in steps 43 and 44. Lemme do some checking. Even more weirdness...my original doc file downloads as something called attachment.php. I'll reupload the file...wonder how it got changed. Ok, it's reuploaded...hope it helps.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Map

First of all, amazing tutorial!. It's obvious a lot of time was spend making it, and it was very helpfull.

Here's my result. (I started this afternoon and didn't stop... addicting ).

Name:	Naldia.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	11649  

Looks good. Glad you liked it and glad I could help feed the monster

This tutorial is very good. I'm almost pleased with my work so far except that for some reasons my colors are very far off from yours when I do the gradient overlay. It doesn't really matter though as I adjusted like I wanted it to be, but I really have a problem with the mountains. I'm incapable of making them look good. (I'm at the adjust2 layer step, but I haven't touched the mountains yet as they are not pleasing). Do you have any idea how I might make my mountains more like yours?

Anyways, REPed you.

Name:	Continent 2.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	11800  

Looks pretty good to me. I don't really do too much with my mountains...clouds, difference clouds, difference clouds, lighting effects, select color range = black with a fuzziness of 200, delete, brown color overlay set to soft light, a slight inner bevel of 1 to 3 pixels (optional), then set the layer to hard light. I can't really tell how you're doing yours but it looks like you did the difference clouds too many times, which results in smaller and smaller yet more and more twisty areas of white...or you changed up something on the lighting effects filter. It could be that you set the fill of the layer to zero, leaving behind just a bevel instead of the swirly grays and white that we need to represent height. Don't worry too much about that color gradient...make it whatever you want. At the very end, if it's still too dark for your taste, add a solid layer of white on top then set the mode to soft light and reduce the opacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I can't really tell how you're doing yours but it looks like you did the difference clouds too many times, which results in smaller and smaller yet more and more twisty areas of white...or you changed up something on the lighting effects filter. It could be that you set the fill of the layer to zero, leaving behind just a bevel instead of the swirly grays and white that we need to represent height.
    Indeed, I probably messed up with the clouds. That would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Don't worry too much about that color gradient...make it whatever you want. At the very end, if it's still too dark for your taste, add a solid layer of white on top then set the mode to soft light and reduce the opacity.
    Don't worry about that As you can see I tweaked it quite a lot but the values for colors that you give are pretty useful and good looking.

Thanks again for the tut.

For simplicity I 'printed' the doc file to PDF. Was having loading issues with the size of the tutorial and having so many pictures inside of a DOC.
    The PDF is reduced in size, but of course the pics are not quite as high quality. hope this is helpful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial 6 with pics.pdf  

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast