Thread: February 2013 Entry: Crescent Island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I like the basic look, though I am not a fan of the clouds. I know from an airplane or satellite view clouds might be seen, but a map shouldn't be a satellite photo. I would spend more time putting details in the subsurface terrain beneath the waves, rather than playing with the sky.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

What kind of texture would you recommend for beneath the waves? I played around a with a few just barely but nothing looked right. As for the clouds... Somehow, I feel that they tie the whole thing together. Without them, the map seems a little... bare. Granted, an underwater texture would help fill that void, but only if I can do it right... and I'm still a learning haha. Would it be kind of the texture you'd see on the bottom of a swimming pool from the way the light hits the waves and scatters the light?

Quote Originally Posted by Larion View Post
    What kind of texture would you recommend for beneath the waves? I played around a with a few just barely but nothing looked right. As for the clouds... Somehow, I feel that they tie the whole thing together. Without them, the map seems a little... bare. Granted, an underwater texture would help fill that void, but only if I can do it right... and I'm still a learning haha. Would it be kind of the texture you'd see on the bottom of a swimming pool from the way the light hits the waves and scatters the light?
    I use this image (provided below) as a repeating pattern, though not too small or too many repeats. I apply it as a transparent layer to view what is beneath it - in this case as the sea floor.

As for clouds, to me, that is something between the viewers eye and the map area - it blocks the view, so why would you want to include it?Afterall a map is not supposed to be a photograph of the ground, not literally anyway. It's supposed to be a representation of a given piece of geography, don't block the view, if you don't have to.

GP

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  25.3 KB
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations