Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

My gosh, look at all those names! O.O Where are you getting them? Are you making them up as you go or have a list somewhere?

It looks really awesome so far. I really love the text you have in the middle of the east and west hemispheres about the magic stuff. When I first clicked on it I thought it was some sort of pattern or filler or something until I zoomed in.

Gosh there's so much detail. Love the constellations so far. Love the text you've put around the top edge of the east hemisphere. I can't think of anything I don't like about this thing.

Can't wait to see more of this!! I sincerely hope your laptop doesn't try anything funny

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BookOwl View Post
    My gosh, look at all those names! O.O Where are you getting them? Are you making them up as you go or have a list somewhere?
    So far I'm mostly working from the encyclopaedia I've written for my world (about 500,000 words so far, though steadily growing into an unwieldy word doc!) many of the eastern continent's regions are brand new to me, so I'm coming up with those as I go along, adding them to my notes and world history and trying to at least write a vague description for them, which is mostly why updates have now slowed down.

I really love the text you have in the middle of the east and west hemispheres about the magic stuff. When I first clicked on it I thought it was some sort of pattern or filler or something until I zoomed in.
    thanks the parts of he map without the globes will be similarly filled in - either text or stuff like the constellations. though there's a while to go yet...

here's a quick WIP of the world (i stitched the 4 globes together, added my intended final texture and saved them as a JPG to show the current progress)

the majority of labels remain in the western globe, though there's new things popping up all over the place.

I also tried changing the borders. i'll probably add a thick coloured wet-edge border to the nations under the dotted line. they're better than before though i'm still not 100% sold...

(the upload is a compressed jpg, about 25% the original size., reshaped using automatic bicubic on PS6, so some detail has been compromised)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereo-full.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	52748

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Very nice progress! What's the blank area called Danael in the Inner Sea?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Very nice progress! What's the blank area called Danael in the Inner Sea?
    I noticed that after the upload. It should be blue. No idea how it turned that way... Easily fixed in the final image though!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

DAMN, I like this!!!

Nice!
    I do think that the central part of your world, the one which you have worked on the most, is a bit overcrowded with labels. It's hard do read with all that letter-noise
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

To me it's not hard to read but to much text for my lazy eyses.^^
    It get's a little bit of a pattern so that I focus on the bigger labels as they appear as real labels and not as the normal "background-label-pattern-stuff".

Maybe you could put all those labels in a few layers at the end. One layer only with capital cities, one with all the other major places and one with the rest of tiny settlements. That's the way I order my labels as I think I don't want to overcrowd the map for the unexperienced reader (unexperienced of my world) but also I want to put all the names of the small places in to save this knowledge. In the end I could decide how much information I'll show to the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    Maybe you could put all those labels in a few layers at the end. One layer only with capital cities, one with all the other major places and one with the rest of tiny settlements. That's the way I order my labels as I think I don't want to overcrowd the map for the unexperienced reader (unexperienced of my world) but also I want to put all the names of the small places in to save this knowledge. In the end I could decide how much information I'll show to the reader.
    I've tried messing about with rasterizing and merging the various groups of text layers. at the moment they're separate layers grouped into folders (nations, features, places, seas and dates/numbers). merging, say, the place text layers into one rasterised layer makes little difference to the file-size so I've decided to keep them separate text layers for now (which makes editing much much easier and less of a headache later on)

and for those shouting 'overcrowding' around the inner sea, you're right, though the rest of the world will be less dense as such regions are not part of the old world, which inevitably has more established names and regions. still lots of text (as much as i can conceivably fit!), though far less than around the inner sea. maybe half as much, or thereabouts (and a higher proportion of features like mountains, than cities/settlements)

hi all, just a quick post letting anyone whose interested know that I haven't forgotten about this map - i'm still working on the labels and updating my world notes as i go along, and am sketching out layouts for the borders and what I can include in them. I'm working on an esoterical list of the gods, their domains and symbols/sigils (complete with inaccuracies) and will probably include small maps of the world's 2 moons, also, and maybe some information on axial tilt and seasons as well as other world-specific notes.

I haven't uploaded any pics as there's little difference to the previous ones, as most of the new labels are scattered and still quite sparse. pic updates when there's something new to show.

also, with the borders, the map is shaping up to be quite a bit bigger than I thought - about 5 feet by 7 feet at my last estimate - any smaller and the labels become too difficult to read. if i do ever print it out, it'll be like a trophy on my geek-den wall!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast