Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Glad to hear you're still working on it

Wow I'm glad I found this, and I'm glad to hear you're still working on it! Very inspirational, and looking fantastic. Clean and, while there is a lot of text, easy to "read" the entire map, landmasses as well as labels. Can't wait to see more.

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

I've been working on the map on-and-off (not much time due to working on my new apartment which I should be moving into by summer), though I've been able to get some more labels done as well as doing some work on the overall shape of the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereo-small.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	53156

this is a 33% reduced copy of where the full map stands at the moment. I'll be filling in the gaps around the globes with text, histories, and (if i can) small diagrams and tabled detailing all sorts of things. The map should get a border as well as a pretty big title-bar on the top. not sure as to a key, though i might add one detailing overall elements.

we'll see...

I'm wondering if there's something that will fill the empty spaces around the circled areas, like those old reference maps?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I'm wondering if there's something that will fill the empty spaces around the circled areas, like those old reference maps?
    oh certainly. a mix of text, diagrams and smaller maps. At the moment I'm working on the right-hand side of the map, which features the world's twin moons in the top right and bottom right (labelled much like like the main map) as well as descriptions of the moons and their orbits and their effects on the world's tides etc as well as their place in various culture's myths.

the rest of the map will have different things - the left-hand size will feature the constellations and a large disk featuring the sigils of the two-and-twenty demiurges (gods) and some information about them within the world's cosmologies.

the bottom will have general world information and a map of the inner sea and the empire's fluctuating territories over the years.

the top, I'm still not sure about - possibly something more esoteric and related to the more fantastical aspects of the world - its entropy and decay and the unravelling laws of nature.... however that works

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dude. This map makes me simultaneously grind my teeth in envy and weep with joy at its magnificence.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Dude. This map makes me simultaneously grind my teeth in envy and weep with joy at its magnificence.
    thanks i hope the end-product lives up to that idea, as im struggling somewhat.

I'm trying to come up with a way of representing the moons - similar to the main map or something more graphic? i'm having trouble finding 17th-18th century maps of the moon i like, though think i might settle on something akin to this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lmayr-1707.jpg though i dont think i'll take into account the lunar libration (the reason we see about 59% of the moon and not 41%. thena agin i night... not sure

any ideas?
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 04-02-2013 at 04:59 AM.

I think going with something that isn't similar to the main map is a better idea, that will spread the attention a bit less, especially on such a detailed stuff and keep the main map being...the main map... The link you posted loooks like a good reference, I like it.

I never really considered the world map in the middle to be the 'main feature' though; i always thought it was more of a collective thing with different information, with the world maps in the middle being largest pure;y because the world is bigger than the moons. I might have top resize the other images in light of this to make them more prominent...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    I never really considered the world map in the middle to be the 'main feature' though; i always thought it was more of a collective thing with different information, with the world maps in the middle being largest pure;y because the world is bigger than the moons. I might have top resize the other images in light of this to make them more prominent...
    That was kind of the impression I had as well.

That's a good reference you've posted, but I think if you're going to do the moons in that style you'd want to put at least some cursory elevation stuff on the main map as well, to keep the style consistent.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast