Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

been busy messing about with colours and changing some of the strokes on the main maps. I thought it divide the map into 4 and upload each quarter separately. wont be doing that again for a while... I'm trying to get some more work done on this (most updates havent been very productive, ill admit, though they help me keep on working, which is always good!), especially the extra stuff around the main maps.

I'm not 100% happy with the territory map on the bottom left. not sure if its just the colour or if its just because its quite difficult to represent ebb and flow of borders as successive layers. perhaps stroked lines or patterns instead of flat colours? not sure.

the middle bottom will get a big block of text describing the empire and some of the events that shaped its borders. the left part of the map will likely include demiurge information as well as their symbols, sigils, domains, the names of their mortal races and maybe some other info. the top i imagine being mostly text - world history, major events and information blocks, with some small esoteric designs and diagrams. the right will be calendars and relevant charts, though there's certainly room for a lot more information here and there. as much as i can pack in, i hope. I also decided to add rivers, though probably not mountains or any other features - its largely a political map, so nation borders and waterways are more important that mountains, which are more likely than not to lie on nation borders anyway. i was thinking of land trade-routes, also, though i'm not so sure i can depict them in a unique-enough manner (to differentiate them from the ocean exploration routes already established... speaking of which i want to make them distinct from one-another through different line styles: broken dash, dotted/dash, etc.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base maptop left.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	54066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base maptop right.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	54067
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base mapbottom left.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	54068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base mapbottom riight.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	54069

at this point i really welcome C&C, about the most minute thing, as its possibly better to tackle certain things now, before i flatten certain parts (its becoming close to impossible to work on this as a large image, even two separate ones, so i have to flatten parts of it where i can, otherwise load times, certain filters and save times are just insanely high.
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 04-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I would give a try with patterns (lines/hatch...) on the bottom left territory map since the colours don't really work for me at the moment. Not as clean as the rest of the map. I agree about mountains which would overcrowd the map. So far, very great and clean work

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I agree with -Max-.
    Most oldschool Atlas about HIstory have Patterns to represent political shiftings and should do well on your map without beeing a dark chunk there.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree with my esteemed colleagues r.e. the Imperial Growth. (That sounds like a terrible medical condition! )

Here's a suggestion: coats-of-arms for as many nations as you have the patience to illustrate, running all the way around inside the thick outer border.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I would give a try with patterns (lines/hatch...) on the bottom left territory map since the colours don't really work for me at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I agree with -Max-.
    Most oldschool Atlas about History have Patterns to represent political shifting and should do well on your map without beeing a dark chunk there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I agree with my esteemed colleagues r.e. the Imperial Growth.
    yeah, as i was thinking. ill try look at maps of the period for styles.

I was also thinking of some form of pattern/border for the corners and the neatline around the outside of the map to give it some more oomph.

Here's a suggestion: coats-of-arms for as many nations as you have the patience to illustrate, running all the way around inside the thick outer border.
    very cool! though ill have to increase the canvas size to accomodate the 'shield/flag/heraldry' border. its already too big at 4' x 6'! though it'll be a good exercise i coming up with the nation's flags, though its strange as i don't think of many of the nations as having flags - most are nomadic places for instance. how could i represent their 'nations'?

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    ... i don't think of many of the nations as having flags - most are nomadic places for instance. how could i represent their 'nations'?
    Maybe a Clan sign? Maybe a Clan sign on wooden shields of various shape and style for the more warlike 'nations' and signs on variously colored cloth for others?

That's a really big map. You have an amazing talent for finishing enormous projects in fabulous style.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

im sure all the different kindreds/groups/sodalities/tribes/territories/etc will have some form of icon or symbol or device that can be used, even if its something used by the nation that created the map. so should be interesting

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Such Icons/Signs should be influences by the creator of the map (In-World) thats true, so basicly you would need a system of distinction between highter establish, and less establish groups and the stuff in between. Maybe different Shildforms for the signs?

true. i was thinking flags/banners for the main civilised nations, with shields (wooden,metal, as appropriate to the region) icons, symbols or tattoo markings for other areas, depending on their culture. very interesting. at first i thought i might have trouble filling the border with shield, but with well over 100 different nations and many of those divided into several parts, i dont think it'll be a problem. the main challenge will be coming up with the designs themselves! though i do have an idea for some places. though i also need to think of colour/tone.

I wish you luck.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast