Thread: Southerwatch - A Bit of Town Map Practice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know what I like best about this map? The shadow the bridge is casting on the water. It's a pretty small thing, but the attention to detail of showing the arch really sells the whole map for me.

Looks awesome, dude.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Fantastic map, technique aside this feels like a really nice little town, the layout works greats and the flow of it all is excellent. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You know what I like best about this map? The shadow the bridge is casting on the water. It's a pretty small thing, but the attention to detail of showing the arch really sells the whole map for me.

Looks awesome, dude.
    Oddly this is the one thing that I actually didn't like. It's a general rule that unless it's murky water the light will cast a reflection, not a shadow on deep water (and if the water was murky it would be a much lighter/diffused shadow than that bridge casts). Also I think the arch is too pronounced and the shape should barely be visible; if the light source was closer to the bridge at the right angle then maybe, but from the sun it should be a more flattened out/straighter shadow that is a little tighter to the bridge. Though if there was a wall at the side of the bridge and the sun was setting on the horizon (ie. shinning directly side on) that is the shape of the shadow I imagine it would cast, at that gentle arch, so realistically I believe it would only be at that position that you would get that shadow, not from an angled top down.

Sorry to focus in on that, but as it's at the center of the map it just jumped straight out at me. Other than that I think it's an awesome map.