Thread: Orion Arm Map (inspired by Bartmoss' work)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Reworking some boundaries

So, I had some time to spend on the main map after work yesterday and went over the natl. boundaries again, added the names of some of the star nations, added a few names of star systems I know of and decreased the size of the regional names. This is bascially an overhaul of the image shown in the 2nd post. I'm not yet quite where I want to be with this piece, but I believe I'm getting closer.^^ I think I'll have to go with black borders for all in the final version, probably with a faint glow effect to smooth things out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orion Arm WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	968 
Size:	849.7 KB 
ID:	53635

I had to change the image to a Jpeg to still be able to upload it. The full quality PNG version can be viewed here.

And here's a sneak peek at the future:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orion_map_cutout_by_stratomunchkin-d61p0qo.png 
Views:	1155 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	53638

Embedded in a website, the final "Orion Arm" map will include both sector and system maps, reachable via simple clicks. It's still a far way to go, but the basic system has been established, and that's the course it'll take. Ultimately - at some point in the future^^ - I'm hoping to include animations (rotating & orbiting planets in the sector maps) and a "Mass Effect galaxy screen" like looped background audio track.
    Last edited by Wired; 04-14-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: More shtuff!