Thread: Orion Arm Map (inspired by Bartmoss' work)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip

I haven't done much with the overall map as of late, but I think I've found a work-around for the issue of distances and scale in densely colonized areas: sector maps.

Background, stars, lighting etc. are pretty much done, but most star systems aren't (since I haven't decided/been told what to put where, how many planets there are, etc.). I also haven't decided yet on how much detailed (text!) info I'm going to put on it, especially as the final version (at some far off date in the future^^) will allow for links to detailed star system maps like the ones in my gallery.

That means, the finished overall map will have three levels: the overall Orion Arm Map, then the sector maps, then individual star system maps. LOTS of work there! Only good thing is that the website that'll ultimately utilize what I'm doing here is still down.

Additionally, I still lack a sigil/natl. emblem for one of the major factions. In the finished version, ownership of a star system will be shown through the natl. symbols.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sol_sector_map__orion_arm_detailed_section___wip__by_stratomunchkin-d6158rp.png 
Views:	1694 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	53540

Edit: What's your take on how much information I ought to put next to each star system? Originally, I intended to put a small text paragraph next the each, but I'm not sure if that won't totally clutter the piece. So, just the name and symbol? Or the name, symbol and something like "Major Colony", "Mining colony & Military Base", etc.? I'm trying to find a good middle ground here.
    Last edited by Wired; 04-14-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added a question at the end...