Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG .... WOTC does it again

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    All in all, I had an awesome time and would suggest any "haters" to at least give it a try once.
    Joe
    I wholeheartedly agree. You can't hate it until you've played through it.

While I am still worried about the impact on the OGL/GSL changes, I suspect that we'll see that shake out in October when publishers can release stuff.

From what I understand with the licenses is it a case of one or the other. And really, I have no problem with that. It is a license after all. WotC is saying I allow you to use our rules our work to sell you product. We only ask that you pick either Column A or Column B. Oh, you want to do both? OK, you can, but you need to publish for Column A under the XYZ name, and publish for Column B under the ZYX name.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    From what I understand with the licenses is it a case of one or the other. And really, I have no problem with that. It is a license after all. WotC is saying I allow you to use our rules our work to sell you product. We only ask that you pick either Column A or Column B. Oh, you want to do both? OK, you can, but you need to publish for Column A under the XYZ name, and publish for Column B under the ZYX name.
    My primary concern is simply a question of what will the 3rd party publishers actually publish. I've read the OGL and GSL and frankly after the first few paragraphs my head starts to spin. I simply don't have a head for reading contracts.

However I have a contract lawyer in my gaming group. (A Doctor too, if anyone is taking notes.) He informs me that some differences between the OGL and GSL that will affect how a 3rd party book will be written.

Assuming that the 3rd party doesn't leave thier OGL lines, will I see an OGL copy of Green Ronin's Skull and Bones setting and a GSL copy of Green Ronin's Rebranded Pirates Setting next to each other? I'm curious as to how they might handle this situation.

It's not really a concern about the wording of the contracts but how the 3rd parties will use them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I know we gotta wait till Jan 2009 to publish anything 4e unless publishers bought the overly priced publishing kit....

Oh... and I incidently had my first 4e TPK .... that was fun... for both me and the players interestingly enough....

I'm kinda thick most of the time.. but it wasn't until halfway through that battle I realized that you can't actually use a healing surge as a standard action ... which brought alot of things into focus and started making some of the abilities of say the 'cleric' a little more ... can't find the word..... un-obsolete...

I have to admit along with all the other 'at-first skeptics' that I really like the system... but it can hardly be called anything but D&D... at least another edition ... it is wholly another system unrelated to any of the previous rules other than some basic in-game functions and mechanics.... i'm not saying this is a bad thing.. i'm just saying that its not D&D as any gamer of any of the previous systems would be able to say hey .... this is all very similiar to xx.x edition. This is most apparent with no conversion system from 3.x ... because it is so alien from any of its predecessors that there isn't any reasonable character conversion.

You know.. I was really hoping I wouldn't like the system...

and does anyone else find that the dragonborn, while not inherently broken in anyway is just plain munchkin?? I found it so because they are the only race that have an actual attack as a racial (encounter) power.... other races have some combat oriented racial powers, but they have the only actual power that is purely damage based.... (oh and the cute little note at the bottom... play a dragonborn if you .... 'want to play a dragon' ... lol)

sorry for the interruption on the OGL and the GSL ... but I just ask my wife who was a legal secretary for 16+ years to go over all that stuff and tell me if what I plan to do is 'legal' or not ... and if she don't have the answer.... I can just ask Torq

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius
    ;sorry for the interruption on the OGL and the GSL ... but I just ask my wife who was a legal secretary for 16+ years to go over all that stuff and tell me if what I plan to do is 'legal' or not ... and if she don't have the answer.... I can just ask Torq
    Thanks for the compliment but I'm not really sure, if it boils down to a choice of law issue, that the South African Laow of Copyright is going to be all that relevant.

Torq
    Last edited by RobA; 07-01-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: fixed the broken quote...
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Wait....

What's a law?

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Wait....

What's a law?
    hmmm just noticed your sig.... I guess I will have to become the tree trunk police....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

lol... i just added it last night .... was poking fun at torstan... but I do see quite a bit of no scale that goes around... of which I've been guilty of many times myself..

I did fix my tree trunks tho... I thought they looked alright ... underneath the green carpet...

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We started our 4E campaign last night...we managed to play 2 encounters from Keep on the Shadowfell, and the basic reaction from my players was: "Holy hell, these are some tough kobolds!"

2nd encounter saw the paladin unconscious with the cleric scrambling to revive her while avoiding the shifty kobolds.

Game went very smooth though...had some issues with Marked targets and remembering what modifiers applied and when they ended...Shifting and OA's gave us a little bit of grief too, but not too bad...

As a GM I enjoyed it...50% of my players are pretty sure they like it...the other 50% are still on the fence, but not turned off yet.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm having my first full run through on Wednesday (hence the new regional map). We had a brief shot at a combat encounter last week. One of my old D&D group (from 1ed) was a bit down on 4ed - saying that it looked to him like wizards had been screwed in the conversion. So he played a wizard in the fight and quickly changed his mind. First level wizards are heavy artillery - they're amazing! His quote - 'that's the first time I've played a wizard that actually felt like a proper wizard'. So Vancian magic goes out and suddenly the spell-slingers are happy.

The kobolds are tough though - I mean come on. More hit points than a 1st level paladin? That's taking the mick.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast