Thread: [Award Winner] Using tectonic plates to draw a world map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

ha, I didnt know that somebody will take this approach to create worlds too
    but.. U wrote that U want it becouse of some facts rather than randomness. Its nice but as soon as u put the continents as u like, it started to take a path of total randomness

Instead of this (Im not forcing u to study the geology any deeper) u could start (like the earth did) with one big Pangea and then split it up as the plates are moving, so u are not controling the continent count, not form and not the size of them. And it does not need to study nothing more than u did before.

One another big plus of this is that u can set the climate on all the continents based on the initial position of the continent, of its moving and the final position, becasue it is not true, that at the Equatorial it has to be a desert (I know there are more things that affect climate like the Gulf stream, but for start it is enough)... just look at the world map and u see for example that the greenland is totaly frozen while skandinavia isnt and so on...

this goes for the seas like mediterran or lakes too...

but u have all my respect for not just set the continents and hills as u want and u did nice research of how it is really done
    if I finish my map, I give it somewhere here and all the progress from the start, maybe once
    Last edited by Zavael; 04-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.