Thread: WIP Selvarin - Fantasy map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That heraldry is mouth-watering. I see you like circular symmetry like I do. And those map symbols are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    That heraldry is mouth-watering.
    +1 Any tips on how you've done them ?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thank you guys Still have a few more shields to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic badger View Post
    +1 Any tips on how you've done them ?
    Sure : draw the basic shape of the shield in PS, duplicate it to make and inner outline, first one set to normal, second one set to luminosity at 40% opacity. Add a textured layer/adjust color behind them (each shield has a specific textured layer(s) ), add distressed/aged touch all around the shield with one or two layers brushed with several brushes. Then add symbols ( a mix of vectors/PS drawing work) and you're done

@Eilathen : Personal tastes or something bothers you about the mountains? Most of the time, I use to draw a new set for each map I make and I needed a lot of them for this map so I went with more classical ones for it since I want to focus more on some other things on this map ( heraldry,territories borders, labels...) but I'm pretty satisfied of how they turn for now.
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    @Eilathen : Personal tastes or something bothers you about the mountains? Most of the time, I use to draw a new set for each map I make and I needed a lot of them for this map so I went with more classical ones for it since I want to focus more on some other things on this map ( heraldry,territories borders, labels...) but I'm pretty satisfied of how they turn for now.
    Let me try: 1) they're a bit too pointy for me. 2) The style is not as organic and natural as i'd wish...they look very much like singular mountains put beside each other...they don't form a real mountain-range.
    Does that make sense? It's the best explanation i can come up with :-/
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

That makes sense. Don't really know what to think about it though. I didn't want to go with such a realistic style but rather makes suggestives one, since it's a map and not a " real" drawing :/ Any other thoughts about it, anyone?