Thread: Feb/March Lite Mapping Challenge - It's a River!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Don't you have a river issue? On the left side, river should go straight south to the sea instead of going east then south I think. It would be sad that the police river catch you on a river challenge ;-)

Max, I suppose you're right about that. I was thinking that since it was moving diagonally, it was still moving towards the coast, but since the coast is also slanted diagonally, that would in fact become a problem. Since I didn't notice your post until I have already put in a bit of effort working on the water (and because re-arranging the river would be a complete pain in the behind regardless), I did the only reasonable thing I could think of. I added more hills.

Hopefully this latest update gets me out of River Jail.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarchChallenge.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	52652

I may need another hill or three to really nail that river into place, as some people may feel like it should still run off to the left instead of threading down through those smaller ranges, but I didn't want to over do it, so for the moment that's where I stand.

The downside to going back and adding things is that my mountain layer now contains some actual white bits, to hide the river stuff behind it, where as I previously had been working exclusively on a black->transparent scale. I don't THINK that will be a problem, as I'll be merging everything together to get a single black and white layer before I touch anything with actual colors, but there's the principle of it all. Oh wells. (Actually, now that I think about it, my tree brushes have white in them to allow me to stack them easily. So I guess any moral high ground I believed to be lost was never there in the first place? )

In any event, I've also fixed the texture issue by erasing everything behind the mountains, and added some flowing looking lines along the river and the coasts. The water effect layer is 50% faded to keep it from looking too loud. I had intended to start in on some city and town structures, but then I had to raise some mountains and otherwise right the laws of physics. You understand I'm sure. Hopefully I can get into some buildings tomorrow.

As always, comments and critiques appreciated!