Quote Originally Posted by BookOwl View Post
york84109- Glad to share! I think I finished fixing the distortion, that little tutorial worked out great, I think

Hai-Etlik- I downloaded it but upon opening it I decided I didn't want to learn another program right now. Maybe another time, thanks for sharing it though

Here is the updated image of my world, in simple black and white. I think it turned out well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veriel BW Final.png 
Views:	8595 
Size:	540.0 KB 
ID:	52699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veriel Poles.png 
Views:	6761 
Size:	389.4 KB 
ID:	52700
GIS isn't a particular application, it's a general descriptor like "Wordprocessor". At a quick guess, you've probably found ArcGIS Explorer which is really just a viewer app for data created with ArcGIS Desktop (which starts at 1500 USD and goes up rapidly from there) If you decide you do want to give GIS a try later, I'd recommend QuantumGIS.

That's certainly a big improvement. If you look really carefully, you can see "jumps" in the level of distortion rather than a smooth progression but it's probably not worth worrying about. I'd suggest you keep your base map simple while placing features like cities and rivers. Once you have everything in place, run it through G.Projector to get it into a projection that works for a finished map, then pretty it up. Any fancy symbolization or labelling you do before reprojection is going to be wrecked by it.