Thread: World Map of Veriel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think it might be Equirectangular map projection. If it is equirectangular then you can import it to GProjector (free program from NASA folks) which I learned about from Hai-Etlik here on Cartographer's Guild, along with half of this info I'm attempting to share. With GProjector you can see your map rendered in many different map projections -- very fun. If it is not equirectangular and turns out to be Mercator projection, or something else I didn't spot, then your graticule would need some changes probably. The 2 pictures on Wikipedia for Equirectangular Projection are helpful.

I think you would enjoy learning basics of map projections anyway. It is a factor in your world mapping and will help you as a world mapper. The reason for map projections is you are mapping the surface of a sphere (a globe), onto a flat rectangle. Imagine cutting open a basketball and trying to flatten it out on the ground. Because of the curves of the Earth, it comes out strangely on flat paper, the strangeness can be called distortion. Different types of map projections have different types of distortion (area, distance, angle, shape). The 2nd pic on the wiki link above shows the distortion on equirectangular maps. Just recently I learned about all this from links and posts mostly from Cartographer's Guild. It might affect your graticule spacing, or you may have nailed it (that looks like equirectangular graticule if I'm not mistaken). Google Earth, G Projector, and Fractal Terrains 3, all make graticules automatically with choosing various settings and options.
    Last edited by Gold; 03-06-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: adding links