Thread: Board Game Map Tiles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I must say I agree with the first part of Jacktannery's comment about home-made development versions of the tiles...

However, when it will come to find an artist to make the good quality ones, you can either pick one you like, but putting up an ad here too is also a good way to find someone.

Good luck with your project!

Thank you both for the replies! I hadn't seen your work yet, Depassage, but it looks really great! And Jacktannery, I think your work is almost exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I had seen the items in your signature while browsing the site yesterday, and thought they looked just fantastic for what I'm thinking of trying to do!

I agree 100% with what you are both saying, but wasn't sure the best way to say that. I feel like right now, for playing at home and for playtesting, I really just need SOMETHING better than hand-drawn (or at least better than MY hand-drawn) map tiles. I've been playing on and testing with my hand-drawn tiles, and working on the rules and such, for just about a year now. So it's not that this game is in its infancy really (I have a working set of rules, the characters and their skills are all developed, the item system is created and in place, etc), but it's to the point that I need something better than what I can come up with on my own to have it taken seriously by my gamer friends, let alone to try a KickStarter or something like that. I guess being new here, I just wasn't sure how to handle a situation like this, where I would LIKE to do a KickStarter, but can't say with even 50% certainty that it will ever morph in to that. I also didn't know how seriously unpaid work was taken here, and wouldn't mind at least talking about a small fee per tile if that's what it takes to get even a rough play-worthy set of tiles. And I didn't realize that it would be kosher to have one artist do the rough drafts, and potentially have a second artist do the publish-worthy map tiles if it did get to the KickStarter level; it sounds like that's not a problem here though, and is even possibly expected.

So with all that being said, yes, I would like to request this, for now, as either unpaid, or for a small fee, the 6 tiles briefly described above. As I said, I have more details I'd be happy to discuss, but the main gist of it is that there are 6 square tiles, each themed with their own environment (described above), and they each have pathways that will meet the center of the 4 sides. Each tile will also have 4 different locales on it. The goal here would be to have these printed by a board game printing company who does one-off work, so I could have a mounted board. I mention that only because that may impact the style/quality, etc.

I still like the idea of this moving to a KickStarter deal, but just need a lot more playtesting to determine if that's even a possibility. So I guess I'm just trying to temper that thought for now, not wanting to lead anybody on, saying "This is going to end up being a commercial gig!". If that ever happens (it would be at least 5-6 months before that is determined), the artist would be in the running for that work as well, absolutely. Just knowing my nature, they would likely get some preferential treatment as well, for helping me out with this early part.

I guess for this first go-round, I'm mostly looking for someone looking to bolster their portfolio, so we can help each other out. I would love for this to go commercial, but like I said, I can't say with even 50% certainty that it will ever get that far. So for now it's just the rough 6 tiles that I'm requesting. Hopefully we can work something out, and please reach out to me at the email address provided above, or by replying here, if you have any other questions or thoughts. Like I said, I'm entirely new to this process, and just trying to see how all this works. Thanks again to Jacktannery and Depassage for your replies and thoughts!!! They are very much appreciated!