Personally, I've been long working on a giant pool of names for people, races, and locales for my universe (currently accumulating over 1300) and I've worked certain conventions for different races and their respective cultures.

For instance, the Chal (Humans mildly based off Celtic Culture, and my most well developed race) share some conventions with the Celts (a given) while maintaining many of their own unique ones. Their capitol is Reinwall, based off one of their unique prefixes: Rei-, and the Celtic word Cornwall. They also take some inspiration from their divine masters, the Val, and will sometimes incorporate their conventions (or their names outright) into both naming their children (like Valfast, or Valos) and their towns and cities, like the farming "city" of Seraphim, named after the elite knights of the Val legions, in honor and the hope that they would be protected and blessed as the Chal pioneers ventured so far inland and built up their civilization against all the potential dangers.

Though truth of the matter is, I hadn't come up with that reasoning as to why Seraphim was named that until 7 years after I had come up with it (I started developing my world when I was 10) It's makes perfect sense now. But it hadn't then, especially since the Val weren't really at all divine in nature at the time, or even called Val.

What I'm trying to really get at is that instead of all names having a coded meaning, ask yourself rather what were the circumstances that brought about that name. What was the culture, who in particular named it, what's he like? It's a lot more work, but these are the things that really make it memorable, even if the actual history to the name comes later.

Maybe I just completely missed the point. :F