Thread: Un-named world WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unfortunately, the forum reset resulted in my last post being deleted, plus someone else's post on the Climate Cookbook and creating fantasy races, links which came in very handy (so my thanks for those).

I've come up with some plate tectonics along with the supercontinent shape. Still a lot of work to do since this is all technically a first pass, and I've even altered the western part of the supercontinent. I suspect it needs some more altering since I want it to look more like a divergent boundary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercontinent.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	53157  

Guild Apprentice

This is a neat idea so far - the kind of thing I want to do when I'm coming up with full worlds.

I have some suggestions to make your long-term work a bit easier here:

You've definitely got the plate impact setup going on here, but you've also got a subduction zone right between two continents that haven't collided yet - which means we're looking at a very one-sided equation when it comes to the mountain ranges and volcanoes that will be forming along that line. You might consider taking a 3rd color and indicating where continental crust ends and oceanic crust begins, as well as marking which plate is subsiding, as well as which plate is floating. This can also be done symbolically - as in this map.

The other thing that gives me pause is you seem to have a major inland sea on the larger continent, in an area which (presumably) is being pushed up by the tectonic impact of the smaller continent. Why is that inland sea there? was there rifting activity in that area in some former epoch that failed to split the continent? (see the Rio Grande rift, or the current state of the east African rift valley for ideas). In any case, the super-continent you have up top there would need something going on on a tectonic level to make that large of a depression happen in what is presumably a continental crust area.

I'm still alive, but sadly have little interest in using Photoshop for cartography. Suffered major issues with the computer, especially when using Photoshop (full reinstall *touch wood*, but the problems ruined using Photoshop altogether - I just can't put in all that effort for it to keep going to waste, as even five minutes can be a lot of progress on a continent, even a coastline!). I'm contemplating using my sketch pencils to draw the maps now, a 4B seems just right (otherwise it is far too fine a line). I'll need to use Photoshop to get it on the computer, but I think my work should move away from the digital side of things. I also won't be using G.Projector since I reinstalled Maya, I can apply my maps to a sphere there (and animate its orbit around a star, which I plan to do at a later time).
    Last edited by Kaidonni; 04-29-2013 at 08:11 AM.