Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP: floating boulders (need help/suggestions please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is a nice map. I like finding maps that are more exotic and not just the same old forest or cavern. Good job.

This map would actually be great for an encounter I plan to use in the plane of Limbo. Is there any chance I could get a full res copy of this? Even better (if it isn't asking too much) would be to get a full res .png version of this with a transparent background instead of the greenish fog background and without the boulder shadows that are hitting the background fog. Gridless would be nice too.

That way people could add there own background to it. And if they wanted them to float in the sky, they would not need the dropdown shadows from the rocks.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Really great fog. It's scaring me a bit. Of course I did just watch a creepy movie, but that fog is roiling! Such nice work, and it's really cool to be able to see the progress. Nicely built.

cheers,
    Meshon

That tree looks much better.

Jack and Bogie, thanks!

Here's a very quick test for the upper fog, using the same strip of fog multiple times. I just wanted to get a general idea of how it would look. Overall, I like the effect, but I also dislike how it obscures the details. LOL!! What I'll probably do is provide a with and without version, so players can choose whichever one they like best. Or maybe swap them out during gameplay...where they start out with clean/clear air, then the fog begins to rise and they have to figure out how to deal with it, or get the hell outta there!

I'm going to redo this later, with several different pieces of fog. Will post the update when it's done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 5 WIP.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	898.6 KB 
ID:	85459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 5 WIP detail.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	85460
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Okay, I think I'm calling this done...for the most part. Only thing I'm not too sure of, is if the fog colours are too bright and saturated. What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floating boulders 6 WIP.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	85461
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-19-2016 at 06:04 AM.

I like the darker original version.

This looks great!
    In my humble opinion, maybe you could tone down the fog opacity and settle for somewhere in between the two pictures?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great map - the only thing that seems off to me is the tree, I see it as growing out 10 foot from the boulder, hanging in the air. I would rather see it fully top down and then use shadows on the boulder to give it height
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer

I think that looks great. Perhaps a bit of shadow around the tree-roots to anchor it a bit?

I like the darker look.

On a smaller island, put a giant bird's nest with eggs. Might consider moss on some of the chains, too.

I know you say the fog stays low, but I'd like to see another "layer" of it with a very low opacity a little higher up on the rocks, maybe. They look a bit like stones sitting on a table cloth.

I really like this one! I'd love to use it soon!

EDIT: Didn't notice there was another page of replies!

I like the update, but I'd consider removing the top layer of fog from the surface of the rocks.

Love it!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 03-31-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast