Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** April Challenge - Using Dwarf Fortress ASCII Maps as a Source ***

I've not played for a while but I ended up making a new fort and... well playing it instead of doing any mapping. There have been some changes since I last played it.

I think what I might do is start (another) new fortress and then do an isometric-ish map of the result. I think that will work!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Hell's teeth... I can imagine getting bogged down in details with the wealth of information available on those exports. What to do, what to do... to enter or not to enter... :S
    Enter of course!!!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I knew it!!! I stayed up till 2am doing like Larb....playing!

I stare daggers at you Arcana, with only a slight upwards curl in the corner of my mouth....only slight though :>)
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Oooh, i've been waiting for the new update to play again, but I suppose I can make an exception just for this contest.
    On a side note, for all of your new players; I recommend throwing water (And anything, infact, even bodies.), an overpowered way of staying alive in a pinch. (And don't forget to download LazyNewbPack, comes with nice tools for music in game and tilesets, really great program.)
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 04-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.

On the topic of more detailed maps, you might want to check out IsoWorld which renders the whole map with as detailed as information as it can determine.

Which at 1 pixel per dwarf-sized-tile printed at 300 ppi, an entire pocket world would be a 7 foot wide wall hanging.

Here's an example. The large blocks are pixels worth of map using DF's map exports.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

AAARRRG!!! I downloaded the zip file, but I can't find the installer and get a "file not found" error when I click on the DF exe file... HEEEELP
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    AAARRRG!!! I downloaded the zip file, but I can't find the installer and get a "file not found" error when I click on the DF exe file... HEEEELP
    There's no installer, that EXE is the full game. I don't know why you're getting file not found though. Did you make sure to extract the whole folder somewhere before running the it?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

DOH! but thats just like me

Thanks
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Hi all, figured I'd post this here for you to play with and enjoy. It may not be quite relevant to this particular challenge, but then again, you are all much more experienced and creative than I am.

Anyway, there are a number of applications created for Dwarf Fortress, in particular there is one, PerfectWorldDF (PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.6) that gives you a lot more control over worldgen, including playing with elevation, rainfall, etc. What I'm particularly interested in is that you can use an elevation bitmap to generate a world that looks like a specific place. For example, somewhere in that thread, there's a heightmap of Middle earth that can be used to generate a map of Middle Earth (page 7).

I would love to see what you guys come up with playing with this tool, and specifically, it would be really interesting if some of you create elevation bitmaps for other maps you draw, and let them come to life in DF games.

I've used PerfectWorldDF for bringing my worlds to life in DF before, but for this contest; I don't really think it would be in the spirit, because then there would be no randomness in it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast