Some great feedback here guys and it's making me debate a few things. Building size and spacing is something I've done roughly and so there's at times very little consistency between my giant homes and tiny tent like buildings, also there are spaces that haven't filled in because I didn't want to put in the work unnecessarily until I was satisfied with the final layout. I'm going to try shifting a few elements around, creating a few more iconic/necessary buildings and thinking where they need to be positioned.

The layout of the town is pretty much bang on with what Gamer and Loogie are saying, and was my train of thought. If the town was built up then the bigger homesteads would presumably be around industry (I'm thinking more forges, sawmills and the like) unless the town was built with the idea that "this is going to be where the rich people live in the future" and build away from everything else. So I'm thinking there would be areas with big buildings where shops and crafting workshops are from the initial settlement, but that they themselves have maybe been converted into other buildings (taverns, theaters, guild halls, bagnios) but a few would remain as mansions for wealthy families that aren't necessarily lords and ladies (this is a town, not a city, so I imagine most that would settle here are of the merchant type caste seeing as though it would have started as a frontier settlement). Maybe a secondary, newer district can be included which was made over time, away from the rough areas.

To the north of the river is the mountains, so there's going to be pretty much zero traffic coming from the north save for anyone mining and loading it up on barges perhaps, this town is the only remaining northernmost settlement (the other abandoned 40yrs ago, that said they would have traded with them at SOME point). However, it's going to be barge and ferry traffic that comes through, not sea vessels. That said said, I'm not entirely sure what type of defenses are put in place for river openings that lead into a city (I thought towers flanking them might be enough, but presumably there should be some high bridge?).

As for the traders market, the market would invariably form close to the docks I imagine, especially in a trade town, and the number of crafting workshops in the vicinity making people get up early to the docks to get the best trade. There are other more refined establishments and shops throughout the town, but I think it makes sense to have the oldest and most well used market by the docks, and that would presumably be one of the scruffiest and downtrodden areas?