Thread: Gaming Stereotypes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AHH !! Pride my favorite of the seven deadly sins. Definition of pride "I am always RIGHT and always in the RIGHT even when I am WRONG!!" I don't think it is the lack of imagination in RPG both on computer and tabletop or in fantasy movies and novels.It is the lack of acceptance that drives the market. The late George Carlin said "in more colorful words of course" Pride should be reserved for accomplishment not for Genetic accidents! People are PROUD to be this Nationality or that one; This race or that one; This religion or that one; This Sex or that one ; ETC... These are seen as accomplishments but usually just happens !!
    So what does this have to do with the topic at hand ??? In the beginning being the best meant survival !! I don't think that has ever really changed except NOW it is about being right. Even when you're wrong !! Because Humans read books Humans are involved and are the major characters. Same for Movies, games etc. Humans will occasionally watch a movie with main characters not of the Human condition but only if the Human character is the dominant factor. We portray ourselves as the Heroes Because the Hero is Right. Even when the Villain is human in their mind they are justified with their evil so they are right. All other creatures in Fantasy are Villains or window dressing or Sidekicks.
    In games this goes all the way back to the grandfather { D&D} for you Younger guys that was 1st edition "BLUE BOOK" Humans had unlimited advancement in their paltry 70 year (Optimistic) live spans . Others were highly limited. EX. A 40 year old Human Wizard could be 40lvl but the 3000 year old ELF (ugh dirty word) was limited to 12 or 15th lvl I believe! Most Players were Humans Males. So cater to their Egos.

In books Most Heroes were Human Males and Human Females got to be Damsels in distress. Recently this has changed some and Female Kickass women have become more common.Still not on even ground except as antagonistic love interests. Ex Everything series on TV.
    Most media ; Games Books; Movies; Tv is so cookie cutter that when something "Different" comes along it either is a hit or it dreadfully bombs regardless of Merit. So cookie cutter is the most economically feasible option.

Another thought : In games and Movies even ; its really all about the ACTION . Story is there to get you from one action scene to another so it doesn't really need to be that original. This concept really P......me off !!! I like FX as much as the next guy but with out a good story and acting its like eating all the icing off the cake and leaving the cake . Gives me a Sugar rush but turns my stomach. WOW I am becoming obnoxious!!

So in closing What is Profitable is what is acceptable and what is acceptable is what is common. Stepping out of the box can get your toes stepped on so why bother. "I LOVE OUT OF THE BOX " of course I don't have to make a living of it !!!
    Last edited by lostatsea; 04-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"