Thread: How to draw... Mountains?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

@Chasio: You're exactly right when you say "there are many ways to draw realistic mountains". If you look up a picture of a mountain online you can find all sorts of different photos. However, when it comes to drawing them, it's harder to say what looks the best. One could use the topographical map feel (looking directly down, with lines marking elevations, the closer together the lines are, the steeper the slope) or drawing the mountains side-on and try to replicate the ridgeline. Below I gave an example of a topographical map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Topographical Map.png 
Views:	4273 
Size:	978.7 KB 
ID:	53377

@Jaxilon: I just did exactly that, and those look like something I could use. The trick would probably be getting them at the correct angle. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to put them in this morning, wish me luck!
    Last edited by foremost; 04-07-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Katahdin!

Yes, so I'd say that the best style of mountains is whatever is the most clear and useful for what you want to use the map for. If you're intending it to be used for specific route determination, then a full out topo map with relief shading would be the way I'd go. If you don't need to know the elevations you could forgo the topo contour lines. If you want to give a pictorial representation of the landscape--maybe show how jagged or smooth a mountain range is--a bird's eye or isometric angle might better suit your needs. What did you have in mind?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram