Thread: April 2013 Challenge Entry -- Bagsnubxesorosmlo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected Khamero's Avatar

Yea, Goblins are a civilization, so they should be in it. I noticed distinct "goblin areas" in my map as well. Kobolds only have caves though and dont really claim land, so they dont have borders as such.

Also, the map looks really good, and especially easy to understand and use. The areas of deep sea looks different from the coastline somehow though, like you could see the brushstrokes. If you want them in the same "style" or feel, you could use landmasses and land areas as templates. (resized, different parts overlaying each other to make a new outer shape and so on)

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Khamero View Post
    Yea, Goblins are a civilization, so they should be in it. I noticed distinct "goblin areas" in my map as well. Kobolds only have caves though and dont really claim land, so they dont have borders as such.

Also, the map looks really good, and especially easy to understand and use. The areas of deep sea looks different from the coastline somehow though, like you could see the brushstrokes. If you want them in the same "style" or feel, you could use landmasses and land areas as templates. (resized, different parts overlaying each other to make a new outer shape and so on)
    I agree with this last part. The brushstrokes are way too obvious. What I did to achieve them was to take an exported height map of the world and selected different ranges of pixels. I can redo that part easily, and try to get a finer edge. I also want to increase the area of deep-water, and make it look more connected.

As for Goblins, I marked their cities and countries on the map, but did so as regions not marking specific territory. My reasoning behind this is that the main three races traditionally band together to wipe out Goblin civilizations, and Goblin territory is not usually recognized by the main 3 races. But you are right, I should mark their presence a little better. Maybe I can make a special category of 'goblin-infested wilds' or something like that. Let me look at it.

My biggest concern right now is that the map isn't big enough to show the detail I am trying to show. It seems a bit ... cluttered to me. I will try and clean that up a bit as well, especially if I go ahead with adding terrain names.