Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Birdseye

What a fantastic (and impressive!) project! The Garden District is beautiful, and I LOVE that textured shot. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Neyjour. 'Preciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    And you're right Lyandra; Katto's 3D visualisation is stunning, I must say.
    That it is.

Guild Journeyer

The massing of the castle/mansion feels good to me, it looks like this area has been revamped compared to the older images you have shown. Are there floor plans for the castle/mansion? I really like the colonnade/arcade/balcony elements you have added to the exterior of the castle/mansion, and I am hoping that you will eventually add even more, if only for this main structure (especially if Katto will continue to produce those cool renderings).

I like the garden layout as well, it has a subtly compelling monumentality that fits with the other elements, and can't wait to see this perched atop the rest of Birdseye. It might just be the lack of trees, but for some reason the hedges feel a little overwhelming (tall?) in some areas of the garden. If trees end up not solving the problem, maybe some trellis elements could help?

Very cool modeling and rendering!

Thanks RedKettle. Those are some good observations on your part. The whole district has been revamped, and the rest of the city layout is in the process of revamping (although nothing too drastic yet). No layout to the castle--I'd like to make one, and maybe some day I will, but I think I've got my work cut out modelling the rest of Birdseye. As for the gardens, the monumentality is intentional, but at the same time I want the gardens to feel kinda intimate or personal. That's why the hedges are so high--so you can walk into an area and suddenly be 'inside' a room, cut off from what else is going on. The trellis idea is nice though. I might take you up on that. Cheers again.

I think it is about time another update was provided for this city. The images below show the current state of the Bridge District. Most of the houses have been modelled, and I have also included a view of a quick mashup of the jetties/scaffolding that will cover the sides of the Bridge. Birdseye is a major hub for 'decoline' trade (decolines are flying machines, that resemble a cross between modern kites, Venetian gondolas, and certain drawings by Leonardo da Vinci). These machines stop at Birdseye to load and unload lightweight cargoes (especially jewels and silk), and the Bridge is the main docking point for this trade. Many of the houses you see on the bridge belong to merchants, shopkeepers, and shipping companies.

This district is still incomplete, so suggestions for ways to improve it, and critiques are always welcome.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birdseye screenshot - Bridge District 2-1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	676.8 KB 
ID:	60738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birdseye screenshot - Bridge District 2-2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	671.5 KB 
ID:	60739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birdseye screenshot - Bridge District 2-3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	773.9 KB 
ID:	60740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birdseye screenshot - Bridge District 2-4.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	60741  

Blog Entries

Oh wow this is gorgeous

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

this top view is impressive showing how big it is getting.

Maybe is the time to post a entire city top view? To see how is going to whole process.

Huge and impressive project indeed!

Thanks for those comments.

Aquarits: the overall town layout has been redrawn, with major and minor changes everywhere. Once I've finished this district, I might try and get a whole-city view, but I can't guarantee it will be an up-to-date city view.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast