Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March / April 2013 Lite Challenge - WIP - Kartin Lowlands

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Guys I have to make a confession... I suck at scale I threw a more or less random number, which size you think would be a more reasonable one? Thanks!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think Bogie's note on the depth is the real pressing concern. Unless your crater-dwellers are specially adapted to living in conditions of extreme pressure, you'll have problems. If you went with something like 6 or 8 km across that'd give you a depth of 3 or 4 km in depth, which is still DEEP but a bit more believable. I would also tighten up your villages (the ones on the crater floor) and make them less sprawling, although that's far less of a nitpick and could actually be explained away culturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I think Bogie's note on the depth is the real pressing concern. Unless your crater-dwellers are specially adapted to living in conditions of extreme pressure, you'll have problems. If you went with something like 6 or 8 km across that'd give you a depth of 3 or 4 km in depth, which is still DEEP but a bit more believable. I would also tighten up your villages (the ones on the crater floor) and make them less sprawling, although that's far less of a nitpick and could actually be explained away culturally.
    At first I was thinking something around 300 meters, but I think in comparison with the diameter of the crater, that still would be something unbeliavable. Thanks for the tips, both you and Bogie! I will adjust the villages, so it's more believable, and maybe even take away the distances, since I still didn't figure it out =(.

Hello guys, another update, this time worked on the scale thing, I think it looks better now, I gave it some more room, made the villages more compact, as they were too far spread. Added more colours, some detail, but somehow still I think it misses something, even the Title I´m not yet sattisfied. But with the little time I had, since I entered the contest this week, Im quite proud of my job this far. Now I´m going to bed, and if there´s any time left yet, I´ll try to work on something better!
    Thank you guys!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kartin_lowlands_4.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	53608

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

seeing as the vertical scale is already not to scale with the horiontal, you could just add in a 'vertical scale exaggerated' and mark it as 1 km or whatnot. other than that, this is looking quite cool

Quick update!

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kartin_lowlands_5.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	53612
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-04-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Really nice map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12