Thread: WIP - Cascade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The land shapes are great but the mix of pixellated lines/computer generated effects (expecially on forests) and hand drawn outlines (on mountains) doesn't make the thing imo. Also I feel the same with mixing coloring work and obvious textures.

The whole thing has honestly been a hodgepodge of me trying different techniques in Photoshop in order to achieve the look I want, so the lack of unity between the different pieces isn't particularly surprising. Like, the pixellated edge on the land is more a consequence of me deciding to use a stroke to define it, rather than me hand drawing it. The lines on the wall, however, were all hand drawn and have a much softer and ultimately a more finished feel that's more in line with the rest of the map. I might try it with the land, but damn if that isn't a daunting task.

I'm not particularly aiming for an art piece. This is just a game map that I'm having fun with, so I'm ok with the computer generated look. I'm all ears for suggestions on the forests though. Likewise with the swampy-looking areas, as those really feel tacked-on to me, but I haven't been able to figure out a good way generating a decent look.